Chapter 15 | Broken Heart

"Ismara!"

The two elves broke apart from their long embrace as Fáolar climbed onto the wooden platform where they dueled. "You cannot possibly think of going to the Zena!"

"Dad, please! I beat a gem-wielder! Even with the Old King's sword as well! Do you know how useful I would be to the Zena?" Ismara shouted to Fáolar.

Agent 34 interrupted. "Sir Fáolar, I should've asked this earlier, but may your daughter accompany us across the desert to the Zena? She will go down in history as the greatest swordsman there is!"

Fáolar thought it over. "Very well...it pains me to do this, but if this is what fate wants, then it is what fate gets," Fáolar turned to the crowd that assembled below the raised wooden platform. "City of Ilrenia! My daughter, Ismara Wyrldan, is going to set out with Arenia and Agent 34 across the Desert of Beasts and through the Janis Mountains and to the Zena. May she be safe on their journey and she shall be written in the books that retell the fall of Braunick!"

Ismara and Agent 34 walked back into the castle, and Arenia stood in the throne room where they emerged. "34, may I speak with you? In private?" Arenia demanded in a cold tone, and glared at him. Agent 34 agreed, and she led them to the hallway.

"What the bloody hell is wrong with you!" She yelled madly. "You can't just go up to some stranger and ask them to come help you with something that will alter the fate of our world forever! She could betray us just as easily as Braunick could kill you! She defeated you! And you had the Old King's sword and the gem!" Arenia sighed heavily. 

"She's trustworthy—I asked her yesterday as well. I met her at the feast, and we talked until midnight. She's trustworthy."

"Whatever, I don't want to deal with this at the moment—my one mission is to return you to the Zena safely. I never said anything about dealing with you afterward." Arenia said cooly, and left him to stand alone in the hallway when she returned to her room.

Agent 34 felt his heart shatter into a million pieces. He felt like he had been stabbed by a thousand swords and Braunick had ripped his energy from him. Stumbling, he made his way slowly and depressingly back to the throne room where Ismara waited for him.

He had to choose. It was either Ismara or Arenia.

A friend for life, or a temporary friend he had feelings for that he had no chance with.

He shuddered at the thought, and went back to the throne room depressingly.

"What'd she want?" Ismara joyfully asked once she saw he arrived. Her pupils increased in size and they lit up when he entered the room.

"She was against you coming with us," Agent 34 explained. "And she ripped my heart out and jumped on it. Twice."

Ismara approached him slowly and placed a soothing hand on his back. "Aw, c'mon man. You got a thing for her?" Agent 34 nodded disappointedly.

Ismara said nothing at first, only starred at him. "I-it is okay. I know that feeling."

Agent 34 looked up to her and flashed her a poor excuse for a smile. He felt comfortable around her, like he could tell her anything he wanted to. He trusted her.

Soon, they were in Ismara's room again, talking the day away. They only left to eat and whenever Fáolar called them.

When it was nearly dinner, Agent 34 heard Arenia call to him from the hallway. "34! Where are you?"

Agent 34 ran into the hall, filled with excitement. She saw that she had her bags packed and ready to go.

"You ready to go?" She asked.

Agent 34 slowly shook his head. "Can we just leave in the morning?"

Arenia groaned loudly. "I told you we were leaving tonight! Ugh! Tell your girlfriend to get ready too!"

Agent 34 again felt his heart being ripped out and thrown onto the ground. "Sorry...I don't remember you telling me..."

Arenia flusterly started walking in the other direction, leaving Agent 34 to again sulk alone until he wanted to return to his friend.

Once he did return, Ismara sensed his sadness. "Dude, it's okay...at least you have me."

Agent 34 plopped himself on her bed, and flashed her another fake smile. He truly felt horrible, but Ismara helped with that. She made it more bearable.

"You want to know about the Old King and how he lost his sword and everything else?" Ismara asked, and Agent 34 nodded.

"My dad knows all about this stuff—he's been wanting to tell you too. After dinner, we can show you. I promise." Ismara placed her hand atop his, and they sat there for a minute, just awkwardly sitting and starring at each other.

Agent 34 liked being alone with her. He liked to talk and spend time with her. It comforted him to know that he wasn't alone in this strange land with no memory and no family.

They heard the bell for dinner, and left her room to eat their last meal here.