Chapter 27 | The Zena

Agent 35's face was striken with horror. He touched the gem on his hand with his left, and it felt smooth and cold against his fingers.

"The gem is physically bound to your body," Arenia was as shocked as Agent 34 was.

"He did this in replacement of killing you?" Ismara asked. "Why?"

"I don't know why," Agent 34 muttered. "but he was attacking me with spells that he casted outside of his mind."

"That's dangerous," Arenia said. "He casted the spells and directed them to enter his mind. That could shattered some memories and hurt his mental capacity."

"How long was I out?" Agent 34 asked.

"You were completely out of it for about four hours," Ismara said, wiping tears off her cheeks. "but the good news is we passed over the army when you were unconscious. About an hour to go until we finally reach the Zena. We are passing over the Janis mountains as we speak."

"Great," Agent 34 sighed. He hated the idea of a purple gem being bound to his body. "Any way to remove it?"

"Maybe," Arenia. "We could go to a witch or wizard who could remove curses, but even that might not break the curse. Braunick is powerful in every way, and his curse might be difficult to break."

Agent 34 sighed, then leaned back against a spike that stuck out of Venon's back.

"Just—rest until we get there. We can cure your curse after the battle, hopefully." Arenia said.

~ ~ ~ ~

Agent 34 stayed awake the entire hour that was needed to reach the Zena. Arenia and Ismara had drifted to sleep on Venon's blue scales and the sun had set a little while after they fell asleep.

Suddenly, Venon landed on the ground and the ground shook from the impact. "We are here," he announced. Wímad soon landed beside the blue dragon and he looked as exhausted as he could possibly be.

The villagers who had risen with them to the Zena climbed off Venon's back, and Agent 34 hastily woke Ismara and Arenia. Once they were awake, the three of them climbed off Venon's back.

"Thank you, Venon. Might you stay to aid us in battle against Braunick's army?" Arenia asked.

Venon raised his chest higher. "No, I believe I will go somewhere where I cannot cause anymore harm: the Island of Death." 

"Good luck, then." Arenia said, and Venon took off and flew south.

"Alright, Ilrenia listen up," Arenia said, turning to the villagers that stood in front of the Zena. "I will go speak to Thad, the Zena's leader. Do not enter until he grants you permission to. Gem-wielders, come with me." Arenia turned around and walked towards the giant oak doors that led to the Zena. She motioned her arm towards Ismara and Agent 34 to follow her, and they did.

Once they were inside, they were greeted by a hallway with depictions of ancient events that happened in Renya. Arenia led them down the hallway and instructed them to pull out their gems. Agent 34 didn't have to since it was cursed to his hand.

Guards stopped Arenia and the gem-wielders once they reached the end of the hall. "Speak your name and why you are here!" One ordered.

"I am Arenia Valimisk, and I am a special agent of the Zena, sent on a mission to find the gems. Instead of finding the gems, I found these two." Arenia moved out of the way and revealed Agent 34 and Ismara behind her.

"Who might you two be?" The guard asked.

"I am Ismara, daughter of Fáolar, and wielder of the green gem." Ismara said, holding up the green gem she had gotten in the dragon city.

"I have no name, but rather go by Agent 34. I have had my memories taken from me by Braunick, so as of now I am Son of None, and I am the first gem-wielder," Agent 34 held up his cursed hand. "The gem has been cursed to my body by Braunick, and can only be removed by him or a strong curse-breaker."

"Lord Thad will wish to speak with you two," the guard said, and moved out of the way. "Go straight to him immediately."

"As you wish," Arenia bowed slightly, and began to lead Agent 34 and Ismara to Thad's throne room.

"I've never personally spoke with Thad," Ismara whispered to Arenia and Agent 34 as they walked to the rebel leader.

"He's a nice man," Arenia stated, pushing her long hair behind her pointed ears. "He can be a little pushy at times, but he is amazing at coordinating and organizing everything. He must be stressed out  by the battle that will commence anytime now, so try not to upset or anger him."

They reached big oak doors with special designs carved into them. Arena pushed them open, revealing a giant throne with a dwarf upon it.

Agent 34 recognized the dwarf immediately.

The dwarf was apart of the memories he saw in the desert where he woke up.