The New Beginning

The next day......

"Ok Ms. Nelson, I am going to run a few tests on you first, so would you please roll up your sleeve for me?," the doctor asked to my mother. His voice was smooth and sincere, a reassuring sound to my worried ears.

I looked at my mother to see if she was going to roll her sleeve up anytime soon. She had this panicked look on her face, as if she was debating on running or staying in the closed space office. Her wide blue eyes pierced into mine as if she was looking at a stranger, and my matching eyes looked back at her, surprised.

"She hasn't talked to me face to face, like she's ignoring eye contact and is eating the frozen meats in the fridge uncooked. Do you think this is one of the side effects of her meds?" Some weird side effects. Maybe he'd prescribe something different.

"I won't know until we get the test results back," he says facing me, "Ms. Nelson, would you roll up your sleeve for me?" He asks her again like he's talking to a child holding a possessive toy. Furrowing his brows when she made no sign of hearing him, he took a step forward and moved his hand towards her sleeve.

Everything next happened so fast. She hissed, a gurgling, guttural sound from deep in her throat, and threw herself at him, knocking him backwards into his desk. The doctor gave a startled cry, which only grew more pained when she opened her mouth wide, revealing two rows of very sharp teeth. I turned my head just in time, eyes flicking back to see his eyes roll back into his head as he slumped to the ground, out cold.

My scream drew the attention of what I thought was my mother. "Mom!?"

The creature's head turned unnaturally far until her eyes were level with mine, now cold and sharp as glass. "Mommy's not going to save you now." It says with a sickening smile, teeth glinting with a red coat of blood under the flourescent lights. I trembled, one hand slowly fumbling for the door handle beside me.

"What are you?," I ask with terror in my voice, making me appear small and meek.

"The new beginning. I'll count to three to give you a head start. 1-"

Two nurses barged into the room and had just enough time to take in the startling scene when the creature launched itself on one of them, sending them both toppling to the ground.

I took this opportunity to run from the room, sprinting past concerned nurses and startled patients, not even thinking to look behind me. There was a startled yelp and the crashing sound of a gurney against the wall, making me force my legs faster.

I made it to the parking lot and and started running even faster when I saw the grey sedan. I climbed into the driver's side and pulled the keys out of my pocket.

Suddenly there was a bang against the car door,and I looked over to the window and was surprised to find the doctor my mom attacked, except not. I noticed his new rows of sharp teeth and cringed. I started the car as quickly as I could with my trembling hands.

I drove backwards out of the parking lot and into the road, driving at full speed to my house. As I stopped at a red light, there was a man hovering over a homeless woman. Desperate for the flesh we wear everyday. I thought I was going to pass out. They were spreading faster, whatever they were. I thought back with a sudden pang to my mother, kneeling in the garden. How could this be happening? What am I going to do?

I looked again at the homeless woman trying to protect herself from that monster. I knew I couldn't help her, it was useless. Even if I managed to even step out of the car, I couldn't fight that thing off her and then fend for myself against that beast hungry for the coat of skin I wear. I looked around the streets and stores and saw multiples being attacked, running or either hiding from those...things. I started speeding towards home after I saw a man starting to be ripped apart. I punched hard on the pedal when I looked at him from the distance. What good was I to the world if I was dead?

Once I passed all those gory images stuck in my head, I ran to the house and opened the door, shut the door behind me and locking it. I was about to have a melt down when the phone rang. I let it ring twice, deciding if I should answer whoever or whatever could be calling me. Taking a deep breath, I clicked accept and put it to my ear.

Aloha. Second chapter so far. OK, so I will QUICKLY tell you how I came to write this story. It was for a 20-time project repeated word in my LA class and I didn't know how to do anything else so I chose to write a short story. I don't actually like writing except when I have a really good idea of what its going to be about. So I wrote this story but there was nothing to do with it afterwards so here we are today. TA-DAY, -A