Moving On

We had everything packed and ready to leave. I knew that my brother had very little chance of coming here, nevermind surviving, but he's good at getting through tough situations. He'll make it, I'm 100% sure he will, I reassured myself. I still couldn't keep my mind from flashing to the screams I heard through the phone.

"We need to tell her. Like now." I heard Cavin whisper. I heard their feet shuffle over to the living area where I was in front of the TV, watching the news for any signs of positivity out of this nightmare.

"So..." Cavin starts off.

"There is a military base in Texas that people, specifically Cavin's family, have gone to because they say its safe and secure from the Z's." Miranda says slowly, "And we were thinking that we should go there, but we know that you would want to wait for James. But you have to know that if you stay here, then you will eventually be one of the Zs or die because we all know there is a small chance of him surviving a distance of states covered in the dangerous, hungry, ugly looking things." She was babbling now.

Miranda watched me with a sad face as a tear slipped down my face. I wipe my eyes aggressively as more tears came. I hate myself for being so weak and idiotic. Of course James wouldn't make it. The Z's would love his humor and braveness. His advice that would make anyone that's blue so suddenly happy, making everyone love him. And they should. He is, or was, a good person. I just want to see him again.

"So you want to leave now," I say quietly, as a statement rather than a question.

"We want you to come with us. To go find hope. To possibly survive this because it is getting worse by the second. More people are turning and soon there won't even be a population anymore." Cavin says the last sentence quietly, gesturing at the TV, which was evidence enough of his words.

"If you don't, we'll have to hit you in the head with a pan and stuff you into the car." I don't even think Miranda was joking when she said that, her bare feet shuffling on the carpet. My carpet. With so many stains and rips, in this house I grew up in with my brother and mother and at one point, my dad. I thought of all the memories this house had, and realized with a start that I could explain every stain and crack and creak.

"But its thousands of miles to get there and through so many Zs." I said finally, but I knew I was stalling.

Cavin said next, almost snapping, "But its die here from a Z, die on the way there from a Z, or die from a natural death at a safe area and not from a stupid Z trying to eat us." Those are rare words I thought I would never hear out of Cavin's mouth. Usually it's just stupid things that no one understands, but for once it's actually logical. I can feel their stares on me as I roll the decision around in my mouth, not quite ready to spit it out. But I knew we had to move.

With my decision I say, "Just help me load the car and get ready to leave

OK so I dont know why these chapters look so short on my computer, but they are like 1-2 pages and sometimes 3 pages. Sorry if its short on your computer. But Oh Well, -A