• Phillip •

PART ONE

FLASHBACK

I heard them mutter to one another while the door to the living room remained open. Despite my interest and general curiosity as to what was going on outside, I paid no mind as I lazily sat on the sofa with the TV blasting music.

"Can someone get the door!" I yelled out, merely to discover my mistake when I looked up at the time.

20:42PM.

I gazed at the Victorian clock on the wall for a little longer, baffled by how late it was before my eyes looked outside the living room window. All the staff members had already departed, neither was I at a distance in which my siblings could hear me; and while the whispering sound of men muttering to each other could still be heard, the sunset and street lights can be seen from a distance. Then came the sound of Todd's' voice, knocking on the door which jolted me up from the sofa.

"Fuck sake."

Despite my objection, I rolled my eyes as I slowly worked my way towards the main door. The silhouette of men wearing dark clothing could be seen through the frosted film windows, but it was the flashing lights of red and blue that caught my attention.

The police were here.

Step by step, I gradually made my way towards the door handle, opening it with a slight panic as to what I was about to witness.

"Phillip?"

The impact of her voice left a shock on my face, which was plain to see in the reflection of her eyes of the woman who stood before me.

"Mrs Williams?" I said, questioning my own speech as I stare at her for a very long time before my eyes darts towards Todd, the security guard.

"Is your father home?" The tone of her voice was brittle but rough.

By her stance alone, she appeared exhausted as if she was about to collapse at any split second. Her once youthful looking eyes were dim, even her facial features had aged dramatically. For a woman and a mother at her age, she was beautiful, but at this moment, her appearance would shock anyone.

Her black hair was loosely pulled back and wrapped in a messy bun. There were strands that clung onto her face or were lightly lifted in the air due to the gentle breeze touching our skin. Her clothing was entirely black and baggy and did nothing to bring out her voluptuous frame.

"No, he left a few hours ago because of work," I told her, frowning as I could see a police officer approaching us from the corner of my eyes.

"Ah, I see. Then ca-"

"Mr Wattson, my name is Jake Callahan." I turned to face a man a foot taller than me, oozing with confidence as he reached his hand out.

"It's a pleasure to meet you." He said, while the smile on his face was forced in his monotonous voice, but the look in his eyes held pride. In response and respect, I stretched out my hand and shook his, but the grasp he held was not a joke as his fat hand clenched mine.

Quickly, I let go, lowering at the man as he looks at Mrs Williams.

"Madam, allow me." He told her and she nodded in response. The innocence she held as she looked up at him was unsurprisingly familiar.

"Please, we didn't come here to cause any problems. If you are already aware or not, there was an incident that had taken place last week, which induced the death of many. Only until the day after, did Mrs Williams come in contact with us about her missing daughter."