Chapter 6 - Let's have some fun!!

Melissa literally dragged him out of the club and had hailed a cab before he was able to ask, "where?"

She tapped her nose knowingly, "to have fun!"

A yellow taxi appeared almost instantly and jumping in she whispered to the driver. Shaking his head he climbed in after her. The cab stopped at a large intersection after a few minutes, and she took his hand encouraging him out of the car. In front of them was a huge ornate fountain. Not a small water feature, but statues and ornate scuptures that spewed glistening water, illuminated by numerous spot lights, into the ten metre diametre bowl from various parts of predominantly human anatomies.

Liam froze as she dropped his hand and rushed to the water filled basin, leaning on it for support.

"Be reckless!" she laughed, kicking off her shoes, placing them and her bag on the stone edging to the huge bowl of the fountain.

"You'll get arrested!" he laughed as shaking his head, he watched her step into the water. "It must be freezing!"

Shrugging she strode towards the centre, "Live a little Liam! Come on!"

He stood and watched her, with fascination, as she danced like some sort of waternymph, gasping as the icy water splashed her bare legs. Then she stopped, hands on hips, "come on! I dare you!"

Liam groaned, there was the red rag to his bull. He'd never taken the challenge of a dare well. He kicked off his shoes, socks, and then rolled up his trousers, before striding towards her, climbing over the edge of the basin.

The water was unbearably cold, and he couldn't believe she'd been in it for so long! Squealing with delight, she kicked her long legs, splashing the water deliberately either side of him.

"Just try it Melissa!" he tried to snarl, there was no animosity, just the challenge of 'I dare you'.

Laughing she launched at him, swinging her arms around his neck. Surprised he reciprocated, then he lifted her out of the water and twirled her around. With that he started to laugh with her, really really laugh, and Melissa felt another bolt of warmth spread through her at the sound, a wonderful sound. A sound she wanted to hear more and more of. Just then they heard a noise, someone was approaching. He lowered her so her feet were back in the water.

"Will we really get arrested?" her arms were still around his neck, her top lip bitten between her teeth in a nervous gesture that immediately reminded him how young and innocent she'd looked at her apartment that day a week ago when he'd turned up out of the blue.

He smiled, "anything's possible!"

Suddenly she looked serious, "Maybe we should get out?"

"Hang on? You're spontaneous, but not to the point of getting into trouble?" He held her tight in the depths of the water, not letting her escape.

She leaned up and whispered in his ear, "I'm a goody-too-shoes really! I've never been in real trouble!" She pulled back in his arms to look up at him, "not until I agreed to this crazy deal with you."

Melissa's honesty unnerved Liam, killed the mood like a bucket of ice cold water. Melissa could almost see him immediately rebuilding the barriers that had been slowly lowering over the last few hours. He was silent as he dropped his arms from around her, then turned to leave the water.

Liam hated that she'd brought the deal, his bargain, to the intimacy they'd just shared. He knew he shouldn't blame her, after all she was only speaking the truth, but he did...it was either blame her, or look in the mirror at exactly what he was instigating and hate himself.

Barefoot carrying their shoes, they walked the fairly short distance back to their hotel in silence. The foyer was full of people lounging around drinking and chatting, and there were a few strange looks as they crossed the plush reception, especially as Liam's trouser legs were still rolled up to mid shin.