Chapter 8 - The battle continues

A session in the gym had not calmed her, so she dressed into her most casual clothing, a mid thigh fine knit jumper dress, thick black tights and knee high black boots and headed out into the early May morning.

She had an old University friend Caleb, who worked in the City, so she called him when she was sat in a cafe an hour later, presuming correctly that he, unlike Liam, didn't work Saturday's. He was ecstatic at the out-of-the-blue phone call, dropping everything to rush to meet her.

"Cal!" she hugged him as they met outside the Rockafella centre. "How are you?"

Caleb was a great friend, he'd dated one of her good friends during their uni years, but now were restricted to occasional emails and birthday cards. He repeatedly assured her that men didn't do phone catch ups. He was a huge man, more than six foot, and still broad from his rugby playing days. His blonde hair was as unruly as ever, and he had the same wicked smile that had got him out of so many scrapes through their youthful days.

He hugged her fiercely, "It's good to see you Liss, what brings you to New York?"

She shrugged, "I'm here with a friend, part business part pleasure."

"Anyone I know?" He asked as they started to walk towards the City.

Melissa shook her head, "No, I doubt it. I didn't even think of you being here until this morning, I'm so glad you were free!"

Caleb threw an arm around her shoulder, "as if I wouldn't make time for you!"

"Lettie will be gutted to know that I managed to catch up with you! She was only asking after you the other day."

He chuckled, "I'm well over due a trip home, it's been too long. How is the old girl? Still a worrier?"

In University Lettie had been a self appointed matron to them all, ensuring they got home safely, practiced safe sex, and did assignments on time! Her maternal actions and hippy ways made her some what of a legend.

Melissa smiled as she thought about her bestie, "She's living with Mark, there may be wedding bells on the cards, who knows! Saying that it'll take something as dramatic as that to make you come home!"

He nodded, "I know, it's been far too long. And what about you?" They were making their way to Broadway. Caleb told her he knew a great place to have lunch, and suddenly she was ravenous. She'd been too angry to have breakfast so now she was starving.

She linked her arm through Caleb's, talking about the demise of her life was still painful. "I've been working at my father's business since he died, and we're struggling. My dad wasn't functioning at best in his final days, I've made a couple of bad decisions. So I'm selling. Hopefully I can square things up. Make it all good."

Caleb had stopped and was staring open mouthed, "really? Liss you never said. Can I help?"

She shook her head, "it's just about in hand. I think I have a buyer. I won't leave with much, but if it goes through at least I'll be free to do what I like then!"

He didn't miss the rueful look that swept over her eyes. Caleb knew that she'd come from a fairly privileged background, she was unlike other rich girls, and the way she was compartmentalising now showed that there was so much more to her than that. But with no family he worried.

"You'll miss it." Was all he could offer.

She looked at him questioningly, "the business yes, the lifestyle no, not really. Wharton's is the last link to my father and to lose it because I have to...well it makes me really sad. But, the most important thing is that the business goes on. The people keep their jobs. I don't miss rattling around in Dad's huge house, I've never been a Country Club or Tennis Club girl."