Chapter 12 - I love her...

With the address of a clothes shop in his hand, Liam drove to the sea front and managed to find a parking space.

Standing across the road from "Calico" he presumed Mrs Tyson had definitely got things wrong. This was more a cheap tourist shop than even a reasonable level clothing shop, baskets outside were filled with baseball caps and buckets, a huge inflatable guitar sat over the doorway, and a range of souvenirs filled the window.

He was about to turn away, thinking this was definitely wrong, when he saw her, or rather her smile radiating as she talked to an elderly lady. Melissa. He was breathless, unable to believe how much he'd missed that smile, stunned and in awe of her beauty, the compassion in her eyes. He drank in the image of her, frozen to the spot.

As she waved goodbye to the customer Liam shook his head trying to shake off the fuzziness. The wafts of desire washing over him, but there was more, he felt as though he was finally home, that he belonged somewhere. At last.

The door tinkled and Melissa turned with a smile to the sound. Then she stopped, aware that her mouth was unattractively hanging open.

"Liam?" It was a whisper as she studied every feature of his face. He looked tired, grey bags under his eyes, no sparkle in his usually warm eyes.

He smiled, but it was a weak effort, "Melissa, you look well."

She nodded, all things considered she felt well. "Unlike you!" And she relished in that fact that he'd obviously suffered since their last encounter in New York. "I think it's the fresh sea air!"

He looked bewildered, cock-sure Liam Hart was in a mess! "What are you doing here?" Even his voice lacked the authority and power it normally had.

Melissa shrugged, "I needed work, wanted to get away. I was lucky enough to get a job here."

"Lucky!" he exclaimed, then realizing he'd shouted, he quietened to a whisper, "you are a graduate of the best business school in Britain, and you're selling t-shirts, souvenirs and sticks of rock!"

She smiled, looking into those blue eyes, knowing that he was struggling to maintain what little control he had. "It may sound menial Liam. But I am enjoying this." She gestured around the shop. "In fact I'd go as far as to say it's the most rewarding job I've ever had."

He shook his head in bewilderment, "I can't believe this. What time do you finish?"

She shrugged, glancing at her watch, "this is an extra shift, so I'm only here until Sam gets back. Maybe two hours."

"Can I meet you later?"

Melissa looked unconvinced, "come back in two hours then."

Liam had no idea what to do for the next two hours, as he climbed in the car, his phone rang, it was Marie his PA. Connecting to her he sighed, "Is everything ok?"

"You sound chipper Mr Hart!" She said humourously, "Everything is fine, I've just had about ten calls from a Lettie Tyson? She's desperate to talk to you!"

He jotted down the number and dialled it as soon as he'd ended the call.

The ring tone indicated that she was still on the continent, but she answered after three rings.

"Is that you Liam Hart you bastard?" A voice snapped as soon as the call was answered.

He was stunned into silence for a moment. "Okay, I deserved that."

"Damn right you did! Have you any idea what that girl has been through the last six months? Have you?"

He wasn't anticipating this level of aggression, and he was surprised, though he also knew that there was far more to Melissa Wharton than he had given her credit for.