Safe again. [A.E.-ish] (age 14)

Lauren sat by the window seat again. Looking at the sky was her only comfort in this cell. It made her feel closer to certain people that she would never see again. Closer to Sirius, to her mother. But maybe she would see them sooner then she thought. That is, if the torture continued. Lauren's goal in this place was to survive and to not give anything up. She was far from telling them anything, but death was not so distant. She was tired, starved, and wounded. How much longer could she last? 

It was late at night. So late, that Draco was positive that everyone in the manor was asleep. Everyone except for him, of course. He walked silently down the hall, careful not to make a sound as he neared the cell. He had snagged the keys from his father's office hours ago. Now it was time to put his plan into action. He didn't really know why he was helping her, but he figured he needed to do something decent in his life. Something that proved he wasn't evil, just that he had to be. 

Lauren's eyes widened as the sound of footsteps neared her. It was the middle of the night; why would they be torturing her now? There was a chime as someone rapped on the cell bars. 

"Hey," a voice hissed. "Black. Get over here." Cautiously, yet curious, Lauren walked to the door. She blinked in surprise as she recognized Draco. 

"What do you want Malfoy?" she demanded. Draco bit back a laugh at her snap. Even when she was imprisoned, tortured, and starved, Lauren could still put enough sass into her words to make you fall down. 

"Can you fly a broom?" he questioned. Lauren stared him. 

"What?" she asked. Draco groaned. 

"Have you gone deaf? Can you. Fly. A broom?" he repeated. 

"Of course I can fly a broom!" she snapped. "But it's the middle of the fucking night Malfoy! And you expect me to not question the fact that you walked down here to ask me a random question? What, you couldn't sleep and wanted to know if I'd play a game of Quidditch with you?" she added sarcastically. He rolled his eyes. 

"No," he hissed. "I'm getting you out of here." To prove his point, he unlocked the door. Lauren hesitated. 

"Why should I trust you?" 

"You shouldn't."

"Alright." Lauren replied, stepping out of her prison. Draco grabbed her arm and they quickly walked to a window. Outside was a broom. 

"Go." Draco ordered. "And by god, don't let anyone know I helped you." Lauren nodded, climbing out the window and dropping to the grass. It was so soft. She'd forgotten how soft grass was. She grabbed the broom and turned back to Draco. 

"Thank you." she said gratefully. "I'll repay you for this one day." she promised. 

"Don't bother." Draco replied. "I deserve whatever I get." he added. "Now go." Lauren obliged and took off. She flew for the rest of the night and most of the next day. She stopped the next night out of exhaustion. Where could she go? Definitely not back to Hogwarts. Not back to Sirius's either. The Burrow? Maybe, but it would be too protected for her to get into. One other place came to mind. It was worth a shot, Lauren decided. 

She arrived in Diagon Alley the next night. Lauren ditched the broom by a building and walked out into the street. The whole Alley was deserted, except for one brightly colored store called Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. That's where Lauren headed. The store was closed, but she ignored that and walked in. A bell chimed as she went through the doorway. 

Upstairs, Fred and George Weasley jolted awake at the sound of the bell. It was past midnight. No one should be entering the store. The twins jumped to their feet and grabbed their wands. They lit them and cautiously walked down the stairs, prepared to fight. They heard light footsteps in the store and followed them. The twins snuck up behind  the mysterious person and lit their wands at the intruder. A gasp went up, followed by a scream. 

"Lauren?" George asked in disbelief. She stared at the one-eared boy. He would've recognized those lightning eyes anywhere, no matter how dark they were. 

"LAUREN!" the boys screamed, barreling into her.

 "WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?" George roared. 

"DO YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED EVERYONE HAS BEEN ABOUT YOU?" Fred yelled. Lauren laughed, her first laugh in months. She was hysterical, she even had tears in her eyes. 

"WHAT HAPPENED?!!" they both demanded. 

"I was taken by Bellatrix. They've been torturing me in Malfoy Manor for months, trying to get the Order's secrets." she explained. The twin's faces fell. 

"Are you alright?" George asked worriedly. Lauren nodded. 

"I'm okay now. Really." she insisted. "Just hungry." she admitted. Fred jumped. 

"Mum would kill us if we let you go hungry!" he realized. "Let's go to the Burrow!" 

"Freddie, it's near two in the morning." 

"That doesn't matter Georgie! They'll wake up for this!"

At the Burrow....

The Whoosh of the chimney woke up the whole house. Molly and Arthur Weasley rushed into the room just as three people burst into the room. 

"Mum!" Fred yelled, oblivious to the fact that she was already there. "Look who came to our shop!" Molly gasped at the sight of Lauren. As a mother, she noticed what Fred and George failed to. Lauren was a wreck with bloodshot eyes, stringy hair, and a thinned face. She was covered in dirt, blood, and soot from the fireplace. Her eyes were dark. 

"Dear Merlin! You poor thing! What did they do to you? I'll kill them myself for this. Just look at you! You go right upstairs and get in the bath and stay there as long as you like. Boys, make yourself useful and go dig up something of Ginny's she can wear while I burn those rags. You look starved dear! I'll make breakfast, and you better bring your appetite. Go on!" Molly ordered. The twins looked bewildered, but Lauren could've cried with joy. She was back. She was safe. These people cared.