twenty seven

The snow was falling outside the castle, causing students everywhere to be in a festive mood. It was just one day before Christmas, and the morning couldn't be better.  Except for Hermione, Draco, Harry, and Ginny who were now being interrogated by Dean.

"I asked....how did you do that?"

"Honestly Dean....We are wizards, it's just a teleportation trick." Hermione replied smoothly

"Can I try than?"

"I don't think-"

There was a knock at the door and everyone turned their attention to a dark haired boy, their age. Hermione was releived, for she didn't have to answer Dean.

"Can I speak to Hermione......for a minute?" Justin said.

"Umm yeah....sure." Hermione said looking over her shoulder at her friends questioning glances. "I'll be back in a sec."

She followed Justin out of the common room and into the corridor. "I thought you already had a boyfriend younglady!....Gosh...teens these days." The fat lady said turning her nose up.

Both of them blushed instantly, and Hermione pulled Justin a little farther down the corridor, out of the peering lady's view.

"Sorry about her"

"No it's fine...."

"So...You wanted to talk to me?"

"Yeah...I wanted to thank you."

"For?"

"For courage"

She looked at him confused.

"You told me to ask Hannah out....it worked."

"Oh right!....I'm glad."

"Oh and how is your time traveling going...by the looks of it I saved you on an explanation."

Hermione looked at him, and a guilty smile appeared at her face. "You caught me!...we may have just got back, and in the process looked a little shady."

"I see....Where was your choice of interest." He said in a light hearted mood. "Was it Christmas five years ago?"

"No...no....unfortunately not. Actually we just came back from the night Dumbledore was murdered."

"Oh." He said with a more serious face.

"I know...not a very festive time."

They both stood in silence, sadness seeping into them. They were interrupted by a bunch of laughter a little ways down the corridor. There turned their attention to the group of happy hufflepuffs, coming towords them, eating what looked like ever flavored beans.

"Well....I'll see you around....and thank you...really!"

"Yeah. Have a Merry Christmas."

"You too." And with that he left towards his group. Hermione sighed looking at the group, so happy, so content. Then she thought of her friends in the common room....all still depressed from the scene they had just witnessed, the image of Dumbledore's last breath fresh in their heads. It was the holidays. Maybe they should just spend it celebrating. 

With determination she marched backed to the common room, entering on a scene with Harry, Ginny, and Draco sitting around the empty fireplace, starring into nothing in particular, all silent.

Dean came up to Hermione. "What did you do to them?.....they have been like this since you left. I only thought Cormac could miss you that bad." He whispered.