Part 9

She guides me up from the table taking my hand and dragging my body towards the door. Aveline talks about the aspects of her time in human society. Companies are constantly fighting with each other over stupid things like who had the best product. She states that it was beneficial to the society that they bickered like that. Her country was American and the fur pelt creatures were called bunnies.

By the time we got to my room I learned the difference between legends and her reality. She spoke three languages; English, Avalonian, and Sarcasm. Aveline grew up with two siblings and a mom and dad.

"What happened to them? I mean it's been a least twelve thousand years and science has proven that you only live about a hundred, if that."

"None of them made it past forty. My Father went crazy one night talking about sin and damnation. He slaughtered my family in front of me. My little sister went first, then my older brother, and finally my Mother. I can still hear the snapping of their bones like the whistling of the wind, still feel the blood on my skin like the golden droplets of sunshine. The sight of their mauled skin blends with the memory of a sunset. He didn't cut deep enough on my sister's throat. She laid there choking on the blood seeping through her lungs. After that he killed himself leaving me alone with their bodies."

"Oh," the only thing I could do to distract her further was to ask, "What's a sunset?"

The sweet rhythmic sound of her laugh echoes as she spoke, "Grab my hand and I'll show you."

Cautiously I take her hand that she stretches out to me. Warmth prances across my skin as the golden dew dances along the edges of my soul. The ebony fields around me shift as fire ignites in the atmosphere above. Sparking to a cool indigo as it flings itself further away from its central nervous system. Splotches of vanilla dance in streaks through the raging blaze.

Aveline's snowy voice leaps from the breeze, "This is a sunset. As a kid my brother would take me outside at various times through the week just so we could see this. Mother use to say it was a gift from God that we might see a glimpse of his kingdom."

"Who's God? Was he a king from your realm? Was he a good king?"

"God created humans. He was said to be the king of all kings. As for his nature - Can one really call him good? A being both merciful and just. One that allows his creations to rip themselves apart at the prospect of his eternity."

A God both just and merciful. Did such things really exist? Memories start biting at my skull. Leaking through the veins that falter in their wake. Rocks seem to pound against the soft plump pink brain. Scurrying from its confine ink the color of obsidian rattled across my sight. No stop, please, leave me be let me stay! I like it here. They don't hurt me here! Calloused hands wrap around my shaking body.

The last thing I see before maddening anger engulfes me like a lost life is the honey vanilla warmth radiating from Aveline's laugh. Echoing across her soft alabaster skin. I remember this action people of all trades called it a smile.