Part 10

A machine sent off a soft beep,1...2...3... continuing at a steady pace while breaking up the stifled air evacuating my lungs in obedience to my rebellious heart... Thoughts strum through the gravel breaking into fragmented memories but still there. My hands catch against the stil cloth wrapped around me.

      Once free they clamp around where my heart should be but I remember now. I do not have a heart. My heart was broken when I  was born and therefore it was taken from me. Even before I had a chance to heal its wounded tissue from the rejection of my first love; my mother. Even if I never knew her laugh or smile. Even if she only cried at my wake. I can still feel her tears against my cheeks as she cried in anger. She didn't want a broken child. She gave me away at the first sign of trouble.

     Pain stings my eyes as the dull light smothers them. A small shattered voice speaks her name.

    "Aveline," this is my voice. My cowardice voice that has called for her touch so many times before.

    "Vivre, you're awake." The voice of a living loved soul cracked in fear of assumption.

    "Where is Aveline? Where is my sister?"

    A stronger more masculine voice answers my call, "Your sister died in the operating room. Before that she asked us to give you her heart."

    I can feel the heart breaking inside my chest. It's owner no longer there to hold it captive in a cage of bone.

    "You went into a comatose state after the surgery. It was most likely caused from all the damage to your body from the bomb."

     It was all a dream and Aveline really was dead. The virus of love more commonly known as the virus of hate has scurried its way into the heart of my soul once again.

         ~The End