Ashley Redwald

The Academy City park areas were always a pleasant place in Touma's opinion. It was a nice break from seeing nothing but ginormous skyscrapers and industrial madness.

While there were still the cylindrical maintenance drones hanging around the place, there was no hiding the nice dirt roads, benches and multiple beautiful trees.

As it so happened, Touma and the small blonde girl were sitting on the benches waiting for Mikoto and Ben. It was already quite late, the sun was just setting in the orange sky, and the birds had already all gone to who knows where.

Touma looked at his watch a little anxiously. "Odd.....Mikoto said she and Ben would be here a few hours ago....and knowing how fast XLR8 can get when he has to......this is a little weird..."

The little girl looked at Touma a little worriedly. "Where's Ben Tennyson?"

"Don't worry..." said Touma. "They'll be here......they were probably held up....that's all."

Suddenly the sound of running was heard and Ben and Mikoto showed up in front of the bench panting.

"We're here!" Ben gasped in an attempt to catch his breath.

"Whoah!!" said Touma. "You guys look terrible!!"

Touma was right. Ben was covered in dirt and grime and his hair was messed up. Mikoto's black shirt was torn near the shoulder and one of her shoes were missing while her face looked slightly dusty.

"Oh.." said Mikoto. "Ummm....Impulser attacked.....and Ben knocked himself out with sleeping gas by accident."

"Impulser did what!?"

"It's fine!" said Mikoto putting her hands up. "I called Ben's grandpa and he and the plumbers took care of Impulser before he woke up......our dorm is now completely destroyed.....but we'll figure something out."

"Your dorm is now......what!?" said Touma his jaw dropping.

"Yeah......." said Ben rubbing his head sheepishly. "I might have gone overboard with Atomix......"

"Ben Tennyson!!" the little girl squeeled with delight and hugged Ben's legs. "It's really you!!"

"I'm guessing this is the girl Mikoto was talking about..." said Ben smiling and patting the girl's head. "What's your name?"

"Ashley.....Ashley Redwald.....I-I'm actually your parent's neighbor back in Bellwood."

"Oh...." said Ben frowning. "Right.......my parents........" Truth be told, Ben had not yet met his parents after his memory loss.....in fact, the only members of his family he had actually met after his loss of memory were his cousin Gwen and Grandpa Max."

Ashley nodded enthusiastically. "My mommy said that you used to visit when I was 1 and help your mommy babysit me. Do you remember me?"

'Right......sure I do...." said Ben. "Ummm......"

Mikoto, noticing what was going on, immediately tried to change the subject. "Er....hey Ashley, how you like to see Ben turn into an alien?"

Immediately Ashley's eyes lit up. "I would!!......except I don't have that much time.......I need to give Ben this first..."

Ashely reached into her dress pocket and pulled out a letter. On it was Ben's name. Ben took the letter curiously and opened it. He took out an official looking piece of paper and began to read.

"Dear Mr. Tennyson.

It has come to our attention that as of..........."

Ben continued to read for a bit his eyes narrowing and then looked up. "Ashley? Your parent......they're...?"

"There was a car crash...." said Ashley. "Mommy and Daddy.......they kept sleeping for some reason."

"Oh!" Mikoto's eyes widened. "We're so sorry.....is there anything-?"

Before Mikoto could finish her sentence, Ben interupted. "It addresses that issue a little further down.....let's see........blablabla.....issue of living expenses.........so declared...........as godfather you are.........wait.....WHAT? I'm Godfather!!?"

"Give me that!" Mikoto took the paper and started reading as well. "Blablabla.....living expenses......Godfather.......Ben Tennyson.......Godfather......Ben Tennyson......Godfather.......wow...."

Mikoto looked at Ben. "Congratulations, you're a Godfather."

"B-but why make me Godfather?!" said Ben. "I was......er...how old was I when Ashley was born...?"

"I'm five years old." said Ashley.

"Okay, so I was 12..." said Ben. "Isn't their some sort of legal age or somthing that I need before I can be made Godfather?"

"I think it's more of a religious term then a legal one." said Touma thinking.

"But then what's with the official document?" said Ben looking at the paper again. "Strange....what's POC?"

"Either it's that weird Swedish sports company..." said Mikoto. "Or it's the Plumber's Orphanage Center......oh, here's the intergalactic peace symbol.....definitely not the Swedish company."

"Ooookay....." said Ben. "So my neighbor must have been a Plumber.....or something."

Ben looked at Mikoto. So far, she had been the one he had been depending on to remember everything from his past. But Mikoto just shrugged. Okay....so apparently Ben hadn't mentioned anything about having a godchild somewhere.........

Ashley hugged Ben's legs tighter. "So.......what are we going to do Ben Tennyson?"

"Ummm...." Ben scratched his head. "I guess you live with us now.........if only our dorm wasn't a complete wreck at the moment."

"I might know a place....." Said Touma. "But I'll need a couple hours to get it set up....."

"But it's almost dark." said Mikoto. "Shouldn't we.....?"

"Aw come on Mikoto!" Ben said with a grin on his face. "A night on the town isn't going to hurt. Hey Ashley, wanna see the underground shopping area? There's an arcade down there."

"YES!!" said Ashley jumping for joy.

Ben ran off with Ashley sitting on his shoulders.

Mikoto sighed. "Jeez.......you may have lost your memory.....but you're still the same Ben..."

Back in a lab area near the edge of District 7....a woman with tea colored hair entered a door area near the back......with her was another smaller girl wearing an orange hoodie. The two girls walked through the dark halls of the lab until they came to a strange looking room full of empty glowing tanks and wires. At the end of the room stood Kihara Gensei.

"ITEM...." said Gensei turning to look at the girls. "I'm glad you could make it....."

"What do you need...?" Said the girl with the tea colored hair. As it so happened this particular woman was named Mugino Shizuri.

"This job shouldn't be too difficult....depending on how you handle it......."

"What do you mean?" said Shizuri narrowing her eyes. "You aren't sending us on a suicide mission are you?"

"I wouldn't dream of it.." said Gensei. "I need you to capture the Railgun for me.......and when you finish that task....I wish for you to bring along Tennyson..."

Shizuri's eyes widened. "Are you insane!? Sure I'll take the Railgun any day of the week.....but Ben Tennyson.."

"Ahh....I almost forgot.." said Gensei. "You fought the boy once....I believe he used the alien Chromastone?"

Shizuri gritted her teeth. "Yes......"

"Well I don't need you to fight the boy.." said Gensei. "Merely lure him to the proper location.....should you succeed in this, I will ensure the pay you recieve is doubled the usual rate."

Shizuri raised an eyebrow. "I'm listening......."

"Does that mean you accept?"

Meltdowner, the 4th strongest esper in Academy City smiled deviously. "As long as the pay is high as well as the challenge.....why shouldn't I at least consider your offer?"