Bad Deals

We're back at square one..Mikoto thought clenching her fist tightly as she sat within Azmuth's lab. Dang it!

After the escape of Chromastone Infinity, Ben had become virtually undetectable. They were running out of both time and options.

Mikoto was doing her best to hold in her tears at the moment. Ben hadn't been this unreachable since the Ghostfreak incident. Something she didn't like to be reminded of. Truth be told, Mikoto still had nightmares about Ghostfreak taking over Ben's body. Never mind the fact Azmuth said Ben now had complete control over his Ectonurite form, that didn't change the fact that Zs'Skayr was still in there. Waiting for the oppertunity to strike back.

Mikoto shook her head. Right now wasn't the time to be thinking about that. They needed a new game plan. Something to Get Ben's head back on straight. Mikoto looked across the lab to see Dark Star strolling around liesurely, his mask not revealing any expression or feeling. 

 "You seem rather unconcerned." said Mikoto a little angrilly.

"Hey, me and Tennyson aren't exactly best friends." said Dark Star. "I'm only in it for that energy you promised me. A level 5 Electromaster. That much power...it's almost as wonderful as a shot at absorbing that number 8 esper Impulser."

"Is that what you promised him!?" Rex said. "Are you crazy!? He'll take everything till it's dry!"

"Rex...not now." Mikoto said holding up a hand. "I know it's crazy.."

"No..crazy is all the stuff Bobo comes up with." said Rex. "This is suicide! How do you think Ben will feel when you've been drained to death!?"

Mikoto didn't answer Rex, instead she kept walking till she reached the lift that would bring her out of Azmuth's lab...

Mikoto walked home with a heavy heart...So far, since Chromastone Infinity escaped, it had been quiet. Mikoto had no doubt that Ben had probably changed into an alien with more secluded habits. Someone like Spidermonkey...or Big Chill...oh God..if Ben went Way Big or Atomix who knows what would happen?

Mikoto walked to the door of the house, and opened the door. She half expected to see Ben lounging on the couch with new bruises from beating up crime...or maybe new bruises if he'd changed into an alien with invulnerability...but the couch was empty except for Ashley who was sleeping with a blanket, pillow and one of Mikoto's Gekota dolls.

Mikoto felt guilty as she watched Ashley sleep. She shouldn't have left a small child alone at home. Mikoto sat down next to Ashley and stroked her hair, admiring how peaceful she was in spite of the chaos happening. 

Mikoto began to cry, burying her face in her hands. Right now...it just didn't look like things were looking up. Ben didn't seem like he'd come to his senses any time soon, and to make matters worse, Mikoto had practically made a deal with the devil where Dark Star was concerned.

"Misaka?" 

Mikoto looked to see that Ashley was awake, her large curious eyes were looking at Mikoto. "Why is Misaka crying?"

"It's nothing.." Mikoto said. "I'm just a little sad just all.."

"Can Gecky help?"

"Gecky?" said Mikoto.

Ashley held out the Gekota to Mikoto. "Ben told me that this is Geckyta..."

Mikoto smiled and ruffled the little gir's hair. "Thank you...but I think Gecky is happy with you."

Ashley hugged the Gekota close. "Gecky likes hugs...where's Ben?"

Mikoto paused for a moment. "He's...um..gone to do something important.."