Chapter 2 ~ The deal

[Edited]

After the man left Gary gave Lily a long lecture about treating customers well. Lily had mastered the art of keeping quiet when Gary spoke. Speaking would brew more trouble for her and she wasn't ready for that. After the lecture, she went to clean table twelve. After cleaning she began to serve other customers. She was quite busy until she decided to take her lunch break.

She went to the back of the café and opened her lunchbox and began to eat. Her mind drifted back to a few hours ago. That man, whose name she never learnt, filled her mind. She had never seen him around before and she knew almost everyone who came to the café.

He was a good looking man, there was no doubt about it but he was very rude too. And that stunt he pulled by giving her a hundred dollars after drinking a three-dollar cup of coffee was ridiculous. She had noticed that he was surprised that she had not bowed down and worshiped him for giving her that money. Material things would never win Lily over. Its what's inside a person that counted, their walk with God and such. 

"Lily!" Rachel screamed.

Lily almost fell off her seat. Rachel was Lily's best friend. She was also a Christian. She remembers the day when they each first found out that the other was Christian, they had hugged whilst jumping up and down. Gary threatened to fire them for doing 'inappropriate' stuff on the job. That was Lily's first day at the Hillside Hangout. They had been best friends ever since that day.

"Ugh Rachel, why are you screaming like that?" She asked.

"Because I called you like twenty times before that." She said.

"I'm sorry. I was just lost in thought." She said.

"I figured. What are you thinking about?" She asked. Knowing Rachel, she was genuinely concerned.

"Nothing much really. Just some stuff." She replied.

"I beg to differ. I've never seen you this deep in thought before. What is it? Are you alright?" She pried.

"Yes, I'm fine. I'm just thinking about that guy." She confessed.

"The one from this morning?"

"Yes. I wonder why he was so angry when I mentioned God."

"Yeah, it beats me too. I mean even if he's an atheist that's no reason to get angry."

"I know right. Anyways I hope he never comes back here again."

"He's so handsome, he should totally come back." Rachel squeals.

"He's very rude and arrogant. His character sucks." Lily protested.

"Yeah yeah but everyone deserves a chance. Let me get back to work before "the manager" realizes I'm gone." She said jokingly and went back inside.

Lily did not know what Rachel was talking about. There was nothing good about that guy. God could change him but if he didn't want God, what was there to be done? Anyway, there was no saying that she would ever see him again. She didn't want to see him again.

Not even a little bit?  Her mind mocked.

No. Not even a little bit.

Liar!

Stupid mind.

***************

Matthew went straight home from the café. He was infuriated. He did not want to hear anything about God. He does not exist. After all the pain he went through, someone still had the audacity to mention God in his presence. He kicked his bed in anger.