Chapter 29 ~ Answers

Q parked the car and Matthew walked into his house. He was surprised to see his father seated on the couch when he opened the door.

"Dad?"

"You got me worried sick. They said you got shot. I-" he said in panick. He stood up and was examining his only child.

"Dad, I'm fine. It was just a flesh wound."

His father breathed a sigh of relief.

"I'm glad to hear that. You have to work on Q's communication skills."

Matthew laughed.

"What did he do now?"

"I called him and he said I should stay here and he'd come and fill me in. He said that I shouldn't come to the hospital. He should have told me that you're fine."

Matthew laughed even more.

"That's Quinton for you."

Q walked in.

"What did Quinton do?" Q asked.

"Nothing." Matthew told him and Q shrugged.

Matthew's dad looked and studied his son. He could tell something was bothering him. He was a train of thoughts so he decided to ask.

"What's bothering you?"

Matthew was brought back from his thoughts. He should have known that his dad would see that something was off about him.

"Nothing dad. I'm fine." He lied.

His father studied him again.

"It's a girl isn't it?"

No use denying it now.

"Yeah it is."

"What happened?" He asked.

"I told her I liked her and she shut me down."

"When exactly was this?"

"At the hospital. I-"

"What?" Matthew's father and Q said at once.

It's like he had just told them that the world had come to an end. One could hear a pin drop in that house.

"What?" Matthew countered.

"You're the most unromantic idiot ever. No wonder she shut you down. You confessed your undying love to her, in a hospital full of sick people. I'm ashamed to call you my son."

"I wouldn't exactly call it 'confessing my undying love to her'. "

"No wonder she refused to take you." Q pointed out.

"Okay guys. I get it but it's of no use. I'm done." He told them.

"No you're not. All your life I've watched you run away from your problems. It's not happening again. I'm not gonna let it. This time you're staying and facing them head on." His father said.

"I agree." Q said.

Matthew thought about how he's always running from his father because he liked to talk about his mother. He even moved away to live with his aunt when his mother died. Even Lily told him he always ran away from conflict. Okay, he was staying this time.

"Fine. What do I do?" He asked.

"You go out there and get your girl. Be more romantic this time. Put some effort in. You'll get positive results."

Matthew looked at the dedication in his father's eyes. He never liked his previous girlfriends so why would he encourage him to pursue this relationship. In the end his father was right. He was going to see Lily and this time, she was going to say yes.

                                ★★★★★★★