Chapter 7 ~ Breaking point

Lily woke up with excruciating pain in her arm. She thought about not going to work but she decided against it. Trouble from Gary was not what she wanted. Bathing was difficult since she couldn't let her arm get wet. After the shower, the pain subsided a little. If it continued like this, she would get through the day without further trouble.

She didn't miss her bus like she usually did. Gary would be very pleased with her. She got to work ten minutes before six. She was ten minutes early. Wow, that's something that never happened when it came to her.

"Good morning Gary!"

Lily's spirits where high up with the clouds. She loved being around people and that alone boosted her mood. Gary's reaction was not what she expected at all. He didn't reply but his mouth was wide open. Lily couldn't tell whether it was shock or horror.

"What is it?" She asked him.

"What happened to you? You have a giant bruise on your face and a broken arm and that's the only time you decide to come early for work. What happened to you Lily?" He asked.

"I got mugged," she said and Gary gasped "but I am totally fine and I can work." She quickly added.

"I can't let you do that." He said.

"Gary please. I have customers to serve." Lily begged.

Lily didn't want to go back home. She was there and she wanted to work. Besides, working would distract her from the pain.Gary thought for a moment and finally spoke.

"Can you count change with your one hand that is actually functional?"

"Yes I can."  She quickly said.

"Then you will handle the till today and I will have to be a waiter."

Gary wasn't one to be this kind. Lily was very surprised. Either way she was overjoyed that she could work that day.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Lily almost hugged him but she stopped herself.

"Now do something about that bruise. I wouldn't want you scaring the customers."

Of course his bossy side had to ruin the moment.

"Yes sir."

Lily went to the back to look for Rachel. Her makeup could work wonders. When Rachel saw her, she gasped and dropped the keys she was holding. She rushed to her and bombarded her with questions. Lily gave her a brief version of what happened and Rachel wanted to 'talk' to Matthew. In reality, she wanted to tear Matthew apart. It didn't matter how many times Lily begged her to let him be, Rachel wasn't having it. She was going to give him a piece of her mind.

Rachel patched Lily's face up and they both went to work.

                           ★★★★★★★

Lily went through her day with great difficulty. Pain would come through her arm from time to time. Around ten, the pain intensified. Lily knew she needed to rest but she couldn't leave work. Not after begging Gary for her to work. She struggled through the pain.

"You slimy, crazy selfish individual!" Lily heard.

When she looked for the source of the turmoil she saw Rachel ready to kill Matthew. Rachel was standing in front of Matthew with fury in her eyes. Matthew stared at her confusedly. Lily quickly ran and stood between the both of them.

"Rachel it's okay. I already told you. Just leave him alone."

"No ways. Somebody's gotta tell him."