Twelve

At first, i thought my hearing had gotten impaired or something. Then Joanna repeated it. So yes, i heard right.

But it couldnt be. He called me yesterday. Ella called too. If anything was wrong, i would have known. Then again, i didnt pick their calls so it wasnt like i allowed myself to know what was wrong.

"Matthew just told me this morning that someone in the neighbourhood had died and i later found out it was Daniel", Joanna told me breathlessly.

It totally couldnt be. Was Joanna playing a prank or something? Then i switched on my cell and started calling. I dialed Daniel but his cell was off. I dialed Ella, hers rang but she didnt pick. I sent texts but i got no replies.

Suddenly, all i wanted was to be with Dan. I wanted to see him, touch him and feel him. I wanted to see his face again. I wanted to look into his eyes and have him tell me it was okay and that everything was fine. I didnt care about what he did to me. I wasnt angry anymore, i just wanted to see him.

I raced to my bedroom and threw on a pair of jeans and shirt. I sped out of the house with Joanna at my heels, beckoning me to slow down. In my mind, i was praying fervently that it wasnt true. I would probably get there and Ella would tell me Dan was fine and Dan would come out in flesh and hug me.

My heart threatened to beat right out of my chest as i sped to his house. When i got there, i parked haphazardly and ran to the gate. Then i stopped. I didnt need more evidence, it was right there.

Some sympathizers were gathered at the front door. Some ladies dressed in black were coming out of the house and walking towards the gate.

"He was such a nice and amiable person", one of the ladies commeted.

"What a loss", another one added.

God, no. It was true. It was so true.

I walked back to my car and got in. I tried to find the will to move but my body wouldnt obey me. I sat in there and cried for what seemed like eternity. I bawled my eyes out because it didnt make sense. Why did Daniel die so suddenly? Why did he have to die?

When i got back on the road, the only thing i could think of was the fact that Daniel just died.

Daniel was gone. Daniel was gone. The thought kept replaying itself in my head.

I was never going to see him or talk to him again. I felt a heavy pain in my chest. At first i thought it was just my heart shattering into a thousand pieces but then the pain started to get under my skin. My chest constricted and i couldnt breathe. My vision blurred and black spots appeared in front of my eyes. I was going to have to park.

I took my eyes off the road for a moment to grasp my chest and catch my breath but the pain increased. I didnt get my eyes back on in time to see the huge oak tree i was approaching. My vision blackened before i hit the tree. The horrible sound of metal smashing forcefully against something sturdy was the last thing i heard before i faded out.