Heaven or Hell

The further Mira walked away from her room, the easier it was for her to think clearly. In one day, she had seen someone die and come back to life, she had run for her life, and she had trapped a demon in her bathroom. Before today, the most intense thing she had experienced was that time she got into a car wreck. Or probably that time she sold her soul—that had to rate higher than a car crash on a scale of intensity.

Aiden walked closely to her, glancing in her direction every now and then. She could tell that he was checking on her and trying to be inconspicuous about it. She didn't blame him. Because of her, his day had also been intense. First, he had seen her run through a fair in a blood-stained dress, and now she had forced him to come on a walk with her and her friends.

She was about to apologize for how weird this all must be for him, but he cleared his throat, preparing to speak. "I know that this is a bad time," he said gently. "But I really need to have a conversation with you about something important."

At this point, Mira didn't care about how serious their talk would be. After these past few hours, nothing could scare her. "Go ahead," she said with a forced smile.

Aiden glanced wearily at her friends behind them. Marci was trying to make small talk, which Charlie unexpectedly entertained. However, Marci kept her eyes steadily on Aiden, and she didn't bother to look away when Aiden looked back at her.

Aiden turned back to Mira. "It's a private conversation," he warned. Mira eyed him, wondering what he possibly had to say. By the look in his eyes, it must have been serious. "Mira and I are going to take a detour," he announced to the others.

Marci's eyes narrowed. "For what, exactly?"

"It's okay," Mira said. She gave her a smile she hoped was reassuring. "I'll meet you back at Charlie's place in a few minutes."

Marci simply gave Aiden a suspicious look. Charlie rolled her eyes and touched her arm, steering her in the direction of her dorm. Mira was once again grateful that Charlie knew when Mira needed her support. "Mira's a big girl, and she's allowed to have private conversations with her crush." Supportive and embarrassing. But Mira was too tired to care.

"Don't go back to your room," Marci said gravely. Charlie guided her further away and she had to call out to Mira from over her shoulder. "And if you're not at Charlie's in thirty minutes, I'm calling the police." Luckily, Charlie was able to move her far enough away that any other threat Marci yelled would be more difficult to hear.

Aiden chuckled. "They're protective of you."

Mira grimaced. "Very."

"I would be too." He was staring at her now. Despite herself, she smiled. But then his expression returned to its previous grimness and the flattery of that comment lost its effect.

"What is it you want to talk to me about?" she asked, starting to walk again.

He fell into step beside her. "Well," his tone was uneasy. "Your soul, actually." Mira froze. She looked at him as if he might be joking, but his expression remained entirely serious. "I know that you sold it. I also know that you didn't have a choice."

How foolish she had been to think this man would remain both interested in her and normal. "Who are you?" she asked, crossing her arms over her chest. She glanced in the direction her friends had gone, ready to run after them if necessary.

Aiden held his hands up, his expression reassuring. "I'm not here to hurt you. Quite the opposite, really."

"Who are you?" she repeated. She wished she at least had her mace on her, but her keys were with Sam.