Lessons

Mira opened her eyes when she heard the sound of a text alert. She shot up to a sitting position, her hands clutching her sheets. Her heart was pounding so harshly in her chest that it physically pained her. Her breathing was ragged and each breath scorched her sore throat.

"What happened?" Sam asked, making her panic again. She had forgotten that he had been sleeping next to her. She turned to face him. He looked deeply confused as his eyes scanned her room. They zeroed in on her bathroom, which was now empty. His eyes widened with panic.

"It's okay," she told him, her voice a croak.

He sat up, stiff as a ramrod. "Where is he?"

Mira grabbed his shoulder, gaining his attention. "Do you trust me?" He took a breath, then he nodded. "Then believe me when I say it's okay."

Sam hesitated for a long moment. He was always easy to read, and now was no exception. For the first time, he looked almost suspicious of her. "He knocked me out. He didn't even have to touch me to do it."

"I know," Mira whispered. She was trying to focus on the present moment, but her mind kept wandering back to her nightmare. To Aiden. "We have worse things to worry about now."

To her surprise, Sam didn't respond. She was probably just as easy for him to read, and he clearly realized she needed space. Her heartrate was finally slowing to a healthy rate, but she began to panic when she noticed the sunlight streaming in through their ineffective blinds. She grabbed for her phone and relaxed when she read that it was only 8 AM and she didn't have to go to class for another hour. That relief dissipated when she unlocked her phone and noticed the text message from an unknown number.

It read: If you're serious about learning, meet me at your school gym tonight at 11.

She rubbed her eyes, as if that would help her understand the message. It had to be from Noah, and he seemed to be already offering to train her. An ambivalent sensation ran through her and she looked at Sam, worried that he would ask her whom she was texting. Luckily, he had pulled out his own phone and seemed distracted by it.

The gym is closed by 11, she wrote back quickly. She clutched her cell nervously, staring at it as she waited for his reply.

Finally, the words flashed on her screen. I'm a rebel, darling.

She was surprised to find that it made her smile. If she had any doubts before, she knew for certain now that it was Noah who was texting her. Sam had told her that demons avoided their victim after taking their souls, but here she was texting her demon on a Tuesday morning. She wasn't sure how to interpret this odd situation, but she couldn't help but think that she might be able to better her fate by enlisting the help of someone who had been through it before.

"Who are you texting?" Sam asked. Instinctually, Mira turned her phone off quickly so that he couldn't see her screen. A very awkward, silent moment passed between them. "Sorry, I thought it might be Charlie—"

"No, no. It's okay—"

"I just wanted to make sure she was okay—"

"It's totally fine," Mira said with finality, trying to end their overlapping back-and-forth. Sam's face was red with embarrassment. Then, he looked down at the bed, as if finally taking in that he had slept beside her. He audibly gulped.

"I should get ready for class," he murmured.

Mira hadn't thought that things would be so awkward when they woke up. The only time she ever felt uncomfortable around Sam was when he seemed to feel uncomfortable with her. She considered whether this would be worth bringing up now, but decided against it. She had too much to worry about, and didn't want to risk isolating one of the people who was on her side.