Chapter 1

2008

Ada sat in the audience next to Obadiah as a video played on the screen with a voice over and boring music in the background.

"Tony Stark. Visionary. Genius. American Patriot. Even from an early age the son of legendary weapons developer, Howard Stark, quickly stole the spotlight with his brilliant and unique mind. At age four, he built his first circuit board," the voice spoke in monotone. "At age six, his first engine.And at age seventeen he graduated summa cum lade from MIT. Then, the passing of a titan. Howard Stark's life-long friend and ally, Obadiah Stane, steps in to help fill the gap left by the legendary founder, until at age twenty one, the prodigal son returns, and was anointed the new CEO of Stark Industries."

Everyone claps.

"With the keys to the kingdom, Tony ushers in a new era for his father's legacy, creating smarter weapons, advanced robotics, satellite targeting. Today, Tony Stark has changed the face of the weapons industry by ensuring freedom and protecting America and her interests around the globe."

Rhodey then walked up to the podium with a nice award in his hand.

"As liaison to Stark Industries, I have had to unique privilege of serving with a real patriot. He is my friend and is my great mentor. Ladies and gentlemen, it is my honor to present this year's Apogee Award to Mr Tony Stark," Rhodey smiled.

Everyone in the room clapped again, but there was no Tony, Ada knew that. He was in the casino, gambling millions of dollars at a time.

"Tony?" Rhodey looked to Ada and Obadiah.

They shook their heads. Obadiah stood, walked up to the stage and shook hands as he received the award.

"Thank you Colonel," he boomed.

Rhodey whispered something that was inaudible, but from Ada's perspective it looked like he was saying 'Thanks for the save.' Obadiah chuckled.

"This is beautiful. Thank you. Thank you all very much. This is wonderful. Well, I'm not Tony Stark. But if I were Tony, I would tell you how honored I feel and what a joy it is to receive this very prestigious award. Tony, you know...the best thing about him is also the worst thing. He's always working."

Everyone clapped and laughed as he spoke.

"Lies," Ada whispered and her eyes met Rhodey's.

He motioned for her to follow him, while he was handed the award after people dispersed.

--------------

Of course they found Tony at the tables.

"Work it! Come on!" he yelled and then flirted with the women next to him.

"Excuse me? Can I get in here please?" Rhodey pushed one of the women out of the way.

"Hey, just the guy I was looking for! Did they rope you into this?" Tony asked.

"Yeah, they said that you'd be deeply honored if I presented you with an award."

"Yeah, yeah, just a couple more and then we'll get going."

"So here you go."

"Aw geez."

"Tony Stark, Apogee Award."

"You know I was running a little late , they don't have any clocks in here. I'm so sorry."

Ada rolled her eyes behind Rhodey. More lies, she thought.

"Yeah it's okay," Rhodey responded.

"Oh would you look at that. That's something else. I don't have any of those floating around. We're going to let it ride! Give me a hand will ya? A little something something."

The woman next to him blew on his dice as she held his award.

"Okay, you two too."

He held it to Ada first, and went back and forth between her and Rhodey.

"No, no, I don't blow on man's dice."

"Okay, what about you, Adalene? How'd you even get in here?"

"They don't question a teenager with access to a weapons company," she replied.

"Tony get those out of her face," Rhodey slapped Tony's hand sending the dice on the table.

"There it is! Lieutenant Colonel Rhodes rolls and!"

Snake eyes. Rhodey shruggs.

"That's what happens," Rhodey shrugged.

"Worse things have happened I think we're going to be fine. Color me up, will ya? Okay, we're gonna double up right here. Red or black? You gotta horse in this race? What do you think Hogan?"

"No sir," Happy replied.

"Falls on you Rhodey what do you think? Red? Black? Time is now."

Rhodey argues in between.

"Its three million dollars man I can't do that."

"What? What? What?"

"Black."

"Red," Tony ends.

"Sir, your bid exceeds the table limit," the poor guy working there said.

"Tommy! Is this still Caesar's Palace?"

A man in a suit nods.

"Then we're good," Tony states.

The man nods then the guy in white at the table nods.

"It's a bet."

Ada zones out, but it lands on a black eleven. Then Tony goes and does the slots. Ada just stands with Happy the whole time watching. As they made their way back to the car, Ada slides in, but a woman from Vanity Fair Magazine stops Tony and asks questions. Ada listened in and knew she would end up in the car, at their house, and in Tony's bedroom. She was right.

--------------

Ada sighed as she walked up to her room before Tony could get out of the car with his woman. Ada went to her room and changed into her pajamas.

"Good evening Miss Stark," JARVIS greeted.

"Hey JARVIS. How have things been holding up here?"

"As well as they can Miss," he responded.

"JARVIS, I told you that you can call me Ada."

"Mister Stark has you down as Adalene in my systems, is this what I should call you?" he asked innocently.

"No, he just never played attention enough to know I don't like being called Adalene."

"As you wish."

"What's the tide going to be like tomorrow?" she asked.

"Fair for surfing, Ada," he informed.

"Good enough, my board is still with my bikinis in my closet right?"

"Yes, as always."

"Good, remember, wake me up in time to get ready to go down there."

"Of course, anything else?"

"Nope, night JARVIS."

"Goodnight, Ada."

She curled up in her bed and fell asleep as JARVIS dimmed the lights.