Chapter 7

Ada woke up that morning in the hospital. Since she was paralyzed from the waist down, and it still hurt to move her arms, they wanted to make sure she was able to take care of herself before leaving. A nurse soon came in followed by Jackson. The nurse had a clipboard in her hand.

"Alright Miss Stark, if you can pass this evaluation you should be good to go," the nurse smiled.

Ada looked to Jackson, who nodded in reassurance. She knew she could do this.

------------------

Jackson showed Ada to her room in his house. Since she didn't think she could go back to her house, she decided it would be best to stay with him. She went to her balcony on it and looked out over the ocean.

"You miss it don't you?" he asked as he sat in a beach chair next to her.

"A lot. I never realized that if I didn't have my legs, I couldn't do most of the things I love," she sighed.

"Don't worry, I'm here for you," he smiled.

She returned the smile.

"Hey, what if we go to the cove and you can just float on my board like we did that one time?" he suggested.

She quickly nodded in response, and the two started to head towards his car.

----------------

She sat on Jackson's board in the cove as water splashed up against her legs. She looked down at Jackson, who was goofily grinning at her. She leaned down and kissed his forehead. She smiled as she laid back on the board with her legs still in the water.

"I wish things could just stay like this, just me and you," she crossed her eyes.

"Yeah, but you know, I want my career to start up soon, and your dad might come back one day," he tried to cheer up. "And who knows, you could start your own career."

She slightly chuckled at this.

"Yeah, but I would have to find one that did require me to use my legs," she sighed.

He stated sadly at her.

"Come with me for a second," he looked at her.

"I kinda have to," she retorted.

He brought the board with her on it in. He picked her up bridal style and carried her away. Hidden by various plants on a secluded dock, a Hobicat sat in the water. He sat her down on it and sat her in the middle.

"Hold on to the pole," he ordered.

He untied it from the dock, and they started to sail away. As they made their way out to sea, Ada started to take in the scene around her. Jackson steering the Hobicat and taking care of the sail, the sunlight glistening on the water as fish swam beneath them. They eventually stopped and drifted along. He moved over to her. The sun was setting. He smiled as their eyes met with each other's. Slowly, he leaned in and planted a light kiss on her lips.

"I love you," he whispered as if it was the greatest secret to be kept.

"I love you too," she replied.

----------------

Pepper's heels clicked against the Stark Mansion's floors. She had to begin to clean the place up, to wait so when Ada came of age she could decide what to do with it. She set her bag down. Memories flooded her mind as she walked around the place. Most of them were of Ada. Her phone then rang. Picking it up, she looked at the caller ID. Rhodey...Maybe he had good news, or that Tony was officially dead. She was surprised when he said, "We found him, we're bringing him back meet us at the air force base."

She darted out the door and ordered Happy to take her to the base.

---------------

She watched as Tony and Rhodey came down the ramp. He shooed away a wheelchair and paramedics as he made his way down. He exchanged a few remarks with Pepper, before eventually heading to the car.

Tony slid into the car next to Pepper.

"Where's Ada?" Tony asked.

Pepper kept quiet.

"Pepper, just take me home so I can see Ada!" Tony yelled.

"Tony, she's not there," Pepper cried.

He felt everything shatter. Everything he wanted to make up for to his daughter, he was now not able to do, assuming the worst.

"What?"

"The day after you went missing, she took off in the convertible that you got her. She was driving over the speed limit without a seatbelt and came to an intersection. The light had just turned green, so she didn't slow down. A big 18 wheeler came and the light was slow and it was yellow for him, so he didn't slow either. He rammed right into her and she had head trauma and spinal issues," Pepper sniffled.

"Then why is she not here right now. I don't care what she looks like, I want her."

"Tony, she's...."

"Just spit it out right now."

He feared that those two words would come out of her mouth: She's dead. He rubbed his temple as Pepper responded.

"She's not in my care anymore!" she yelled. "She wanted away from any reminder of the accident, and she was in it because you went missing! She was scared. She's living with this boy she met."

"Where to, sir?" Happy, completely oblivious to what had just happened,  asked as he got in the car.

"Take us to the hospital, please, Happy," Pepper stated after she regained herself.

"No," Tony cut off.

"No? Tony, you have to the hospital," Pepper suggested.

"No is a complete answer," he retorted.

"The doctor has to look at you," she pleaded.

"I don't have to do anything. I have been in captivity for three months. There are two things I want to do. I want an American cheeseburger, and the other..." he started.

"That's enough of that."

"...is not what you think. I want you to call a press conference now."

"Call for a press conference?"

"Yeah."

"What on earth for?" she asked.

"Hogan, drive. Cheeseburger first."