Ch-3 Choose - to hang or to shoot?

In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful

'Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.s), all his descendents and companions.'

                                   -Aameen.

Chapter Three

Choose – to hang or to shoot?

London, U.K

His long legs awkwardly stretched under the desk, the man sat hunched in the velvet padded high backed chair and stared in fascination at a locked drawer.

As if hypnotized his hand slowly moved towards it and very quietly pulled it open. Inside it was a deadly looking revolver.

Alex took it in his hands and felt a thrill of fear pass his heart as he felt the cold touch of the weapon.

He aimed it towards his heart and knew it was fully loaded, his finger hesitating almost caressingly upon its trigger...he was about to pull it when the child's voice came flooding in his mind breaking his hypnotizing spell.

"Papa if I die, will I go to Heaven as grandpa went?"

Alex shuddered and let the revolver fall down upon the floor from his limp hands.

And the child had died by his own hands too. He could remember the look of the father when he came to know that the operation was a failure...Oh if only I could kill myself now! Yet deep inside he knew he didn't want to commit suicide, for dying would mean he had accepted defeat. And Dr. Alex Montex never accepts defeat easily from anybody in his life except perhaps Death.

And this was the third time it had happened in the past two months... if he didn't count the other four in the last six months...six months? Was it six months since he died? No it was almost a year since he died and yet he seemed to not leave him alone...for Alex was reminded of him every time an operation failed, that was why Alex had tried so hard this whole da** year not to look at any patient's face while he was operating, for when he accidentally looked at them, he saw not the patient's face but his face. Oh the agony of seeing your best friend's dead face every time you operate!

Alex shuddered again, his eyes looking blankly at the bizarre painting worth thousands situated upon his study's wall. In fact, from his study to the suite of bedrooms to the living room, everything was elegantly fitted and furnished; and his apartment was an entire top floor in London's one of the most stylish and costliest locality.

His gaze fell upon the thick carpet and then upon the fallen revolver. He bent down and his hand snaked towards it. When the devil's sly mellifluous whisperings urged him to end his life because he was such a disaster, Alex began to feel trapped. The moment he raised the weapon to his temple he heard a door open close by. Alex immediately threw it inside the drawer and slammed it shut. Sweat of relief broke upon his forehead and he felt his hands tremble as his heart thudded in relief.

His study's door opened and two men entered, one muttering something about "...blast this sudden da** rain!"

They had obviously removed their waterproofs while coming inside and now stood looking at Alex who was scowling dreadfully at them.

"Oh I'm pleased to see you too!" announced George cheerfully. His blonde hair was deliberately messy, his jeans low hipped and looked like they had grown next to his skin and he wore a snug black T-shirt that revealed his perfect abs while his attractive blue eyes often smiled at the world and the world smiled right back at him.