Chapter 16: Happy Birthday!

POV: Drake's

I got up around eleven, receiving a lot of birthday texts and snapchats and tweets. I replied to a few, lazily getting up and showering and dressing. I had nothing from Emalee. Not even a voicemail. I sighed, she could still be asleep, right? But judging from the way she looked during Skyping and how tired she sounded when I called her, I doubt she could ever get any sleep and would've been the first to send me something. It made me feel terrible, I wanted nothing more for her to be here, in my arms, snoring softly. I haven't slept so well either, but today I thought I should make an effort, at least for my friends who were throwing me a party. I'm turning 20 today and Damon and Bryan and so many other cool friends are going to get together and hang out. There's an unsure knock at the door and I grumpily go to answer it.

"Hello?" I swung it open, and my jaw dropped. 

POV: Emalee's: last night

"Mom, please, he means so much to me. Not being there is probably the worst thing ever. I won't enjoy today at all, I promise that." I was almost in tears, I was so, so tired of begging. I'm this close (THIS CLOSE ||) to just packing everything up and "running away". I'm 19, she can't do anything about it, but I'd rather leave on good terms.

"Emalee Maree, ask me one more damn time." She said, nearly glaring at me. I sniffed.

"Please..." A tear had the audacity to trail down my rosy, but still pale and sunken in, cheeks. "I can't sleep, I can barely eat, I think about him every hour, every minute, it's pathetic and weak and I know I have a whole other life ahead of me, I just can't. Let. Go." I cried, tugging at my dead hair. Chaney's hands pulled me into a hug.

"Okay, okay, honey, I'll, I'll book you a flight. I know you've been so miserable, you can stay down there as long as you need, just please, please, for the love of God, be careful. I can't lose you." At this point, I was sobbing, pulling away from her embrace. 

"Thank you, seriously, I really need this. We do. I'm going to shower and pack and, should it be a surprise?"

"Since it's his birthday, sure. It'll be the best-"

"What if he doesn't want to see me? Or let me stay? Oh god, maybe I shouldn't go." I begun to panic, Chaney shushed me again.

"Everything will work out. Now, go, I'll go sign you up for a flight." She didn't have to tell me twice.

POV: Drake's: current time

"Oh my god, I, Emalee, you're here." I couldn't breathe but at the same time it's like the world was put into a different shade of colours, it was brighter. I wrapped my arms around her smaller frame, taking everything in. 

"Happy birthday, Drake. I love you." She whispered, digging her face into my shoulder. I hugged her tighter.

"I love you, too. How'd you get here? How long are you staying? Come in, I've got your bags." I said, leading her into my recently cleaned apartment. 

"About a week or two, I need a break from being smothered from my mother. I love her and all, I can never thank her enough for saving me from that fucker, but I can't really seem to function properly without you." At that point, I had taken in her worsening posture, pale, transparent almost, skin, more defined cheekbones and sad, thin body. I wrapped my arms around her, noticing also her hair had lost volume and became the greasy kind of shiny. 

"Oh, Ema, you look so... drained, darling, what happened?" I whispered, swallowing hard.

"I look awful," she laughed sadly, laying her head on my chest, "It's just, after the accident I got really weak and sick easily and I couldn't eat for almost a week because of a stomach virus. My stomach never really went back to its regular size, and I don't go walking or swimming because I like home. I had no reason to leave." 

"I'm so sorry babe. Hopefully this can be sort of a rehab-vacation, in a good way. You should go take a nap or shower or whatever you need to, everyone will be here to go out to lunch." I kissed her forehead, elated that she was finally with me.

"Everyone?" She said, eyes shining in the way I remember when we first met.

"Damon, Christian, Bryan, Kris, cetra."

"Oh, awesome! I can't wait to see those guys again. I'll shower and try to sleep a little, it's only 9 a.m., right?" She was smiling now, slowly relaxing.

"Yep, I'll give you a little tour and then off to cleanliness and dreamland." I laughed for once, putting her bags in my room, in the corner, tossing a towel and a washcloth on the bed while she dug through a couple bags, pulling out loose clothes and a smaller, waterproof bag. I showed how the shower worked and left her to it, posting a tweet of hapiness and updating my Facebook with a post of inspiration and put in Avengers in the living room. I gathered some blankets and pillows, forming a very comfortable couch situation as Emalee walked out of the bathroom with towel-dried hair, wearing sweats and a ModSon shirt that was a little too big.

"Camping out on the couch? And action movies?! You get me, babe, you get me." She was grinning, her barely crooked teeth shone white. I cuddled her into me, placing a light kiss on her chapped pink lips, toying with her hair as the movie played and she drifted off to sleep.

///

End Of Part One.

hi i updated bye