Chapter 8

(Zoe's POV)

After McNamara and Christine had their moment, Jared blurted out, "Aw, cuties. Gag."

McNamara looked disturbed by his comment, but Veronica quickly told him, "Shut up Jared, you're just jealous 'cause you and Martha aren't out yet." She received some laughs from the group and a flushed Jared and Martha, but she whispered to Martha, "Sorry I outed you."

"It's okay," I heard Martha say to Veronica.

I love how Veronica can make a great comeback, but only so that other people don't feel bad. She only does things out of the goodness of her heart, and I absolutely love that she's like that, and it's helped me. I used to be an absolute jerk to my brother, but once Veronica helped me understand how he must've felt, I opened up to being nicer toward him.

"Um, Zoe, you gonna stop making googley eyes at V and get to your car so we can get ice cream?" I hear my brother ask from behind me, laughing. I blush profusely and notice I was staring at Veronica, then start walking to the car.

We get to this little place near the beach called Bayside Parlor, and each couple is all over each other. Evan and Connor are getting lost in each others eyes, Michael is playfully throwing wads of straw wrappers at Jeremy, Jared is making Martha laugh uncontrollably, and McNamara is praising Christine for her performance and has her arm around Christine's waist, so Veronica and I are awkwardly talking.

"Um... this ice cream is really good," I try to start a conversation.

"Yeah, this is one of my favorite places to go. I always get their mango and raspberry sorbet, it's so good. Here, try some," she gets a spoonful and hands her spoon to me.

"Oh, this is so good!"

"I know right! It's like ice cream flavor you," she says and laughs.

"How so?"

"Well, the raspberry is you because it is poppin', kinda like you in jazz band. It stands out because it is kinda sour, not that you're sour, but like- ugh I don't know where I was going with that one." She looks kind of defeated but giggles. "The mango is like you because it's very sweet, delicate, and exotic. No one else is quite like you, Zo."

I am a flushed mess right now, and I barely get out a, "Thanks."

"Hey, Zo, can I tell you something crazy?"

"Go ahead."

"I like you a lot, if you couldn't already tell by my ice cream speech," she said plainly and laughed.

"Um, I don't really know how I feel toward you, V, I mean it's hard when you're an ace, but I like you too, I guess."

"Yeah, I understand. I mean, if you don't want anything, we don't have to, but I was just wondering, 'cause I think you're perfect."

"Aw, that's sweet V," I say and redden. "I would love to have a thing, although if you ever feel tied down because, you know, I'm an ace, just let me know."

"No, no, don't put yourself down, Zo, you're perfect just how you are, and I wouldn't leave you even if you don't feel anything in a kiss. Trust me, words speak louder than actions."

I set my ice cream down and rest my head on this wonderful girl's shoulder. And if she's willing to be with me, then I should try to be good enough for her, since I do like her a lot too. I give her a peck on the cheek and she looks to me.

"Aw, that was sweet, Zo. If you don't mind, could I kiss you? I know it won't be much to you, but I would love to."

"Of course, I want you to be happy, and if a kiss will do that, then it's fine by me."

She grabs my face and pulls it closer to hers. Hers lips fit into mine perfectly, and I try hard to make sure she thinks it's an okay kiss. She pulls away and smiles, making me smile too. "That was perfect, Zo."

I blush, then we turn to the rest of the group who by now has taken tons of pictures. "Finally!" squeaks McNamara, earning cheers from the rest of them.

"C'mon V, let's get back to your house," I look at her and she winks.

"Go get a room," Evan mumbles, with the rest of the room laughing loudly behind him.

"You guys are all five year old," I state plainly, then grab Veronica's hand and walk to her car.