Family Matters

Justin sat across from Jen at a quiet table in a corner of the restaurant, away from prying eyes and shutterbugs. There was something he had been thinking about for a long time and he had wanted to make sure the timing was right before he brought it up to Jen. As she looked over the menu, he let his imagination run wild with images of what their future might hold if she said yes to the burning question in his head.

The waiter came by and took their orders and Justin ordered for Jen first before ordering for himself. As they waited for their food he thought hard about the best way to broach the subject and he was so lost in thought that he didn't notice Jen's very curious stare. 'What in the world was he thinking about?' she thought to herself.

"Justin? Hey! Earth to cutie. Come in cutie." Jen said laughing and waving her hand in front of Justin's face. "What's on your mind? It's like you're on a different planet."

Justin sat back in his chair and laughed, looking fondly at her smiling face.

"Sorry baby. I've been wanting to talk to you about something but I've been trying to wait for the right time."

"What's up?" she asked.

"Well um.. look Jen..." he began.

At that moment the waiter and sommelier arrived with their food and wine and Jen & Justin dug into their meal and told each other about their day. Justin decided put the matter to rest until they had finished.

When they were done eating Justin wiped his mouth and pushed his plate away. "Guess what?"

"What?" Jen asked taking a sip of her wine.

"I love you." He winked as he said the words and, as usual, Jen's spine tingled and she got a giddy feeling.

"I know you do. I love you too Sparky."

"Feel like taking a walk with your future husband?"

"Mmm. A late-night, moonlit stroll with my handsome fiancé? Yes please!" she said happily.

*****************************************************************************

They walked slowly, enjoying the mild night air. Justin's arm was slung casually over Jen's shoulder and she brought her hand up to lace her fingers with his while wrapping the other arm around his waist, tucking that hand into his back pocket. A few people recognized them and said hello and they graciously responded. Jen loved the feeling of just being normal. She stayed wary of all the faces she saw. She anticipated the flashbulbs of the paparazzi but, thankfully, they all seemed to have retreated to their dens for the night. Could this night be any more perfect?

"Jen, I uh, I started to say something before. There's something that's been on my mind for a while now and I'd really like to talk with you about it."

"I had a feeling something was up. What's on your mind love?" Jen said, giving him all her attention.

His face was serious as he began to speak.

"You know how much I adore you; and with us getting married & buying the house and everything..." His voice faltered as he searched for the best way to pose the question.

"Yeah?" Jen pressed.

"Well, we never really spoke about ..um .. children." There. He'd said it.

He waited for her reaction. The expression on her face was unreadable at first. He tensed a bit as their footsteps slowed. He could almost see the wheels in her mind turning as she sorted through her thoughts looking for the perfect way to respond. Finally, she stopped walking and turned to face him fully, looking into his eyes. Hers were filled with tears.