A Pitt of Regret - Part III

Justin sat in his mother's living room staring down into his coffee cup. He had spent the past couple of days thinking things over and every time he got to the kiss he still felt sick to his stomach. Would he ever be able to get past this?

Phyllis entered the room and sat in her favorite chair across from Justin. She gave her son a disapproving look; one she didn't wear often when it came to him.

"How long are you going to punish her for this, JT?" she asked him.

"Stay out of it, mom." Justin growled.

"No, I won't stay out of it. I'm your mother and you're messing up so it's my job to kick your ass into gear." Phyllis had never had a problem speaking her mind.

"Jennifer is the best thing that ever happened to you and you know it; and yet you're pushing her away over someone else's stupidity?"

"I'm not trying to push her away! I just ... need to think." He shot up out of the chair and began to pace, massaging his temples.

"Think about what? You said yourself that you saw him kiss her. Unexpected things happen, Justin. Did you forget about what happened with Heidi?"

'Sh*t!' Justin's scowl deepened as he remembered.

About two months after he and Jen had gotten together he had run into a very drunk Heidi at an event. She had cornered him, tearfully declaring how much she missed him, and before he could stop her she had kissed him. He had forgotten all about it and had never told Jen.

"Oh my God how could I not remember that? I'm a hypocrite!"

"I hate to agree with you on this, son; but you're right." Phyllis said with a wink. "Now go home to your wife and son and make things right."

He kissed his mother's cheek in thanks and rushed to get ready. He had put Jen through hell for something that wasn't her fault and now he had to get back and apologize.

**************************************************************************

It had been two whole days and Jen hadn't heard a word from Justin. She stared at the clouds drifting overhead as she lay in a hammock in the back yard. Kai napped next to her, worn out from a full morning of play.

She ran her fingers through his curls and her thoughts turned to Brad's kiss. The more she thought about it, the more she resented the silent treatment she was getting from Justin. What happened wasn't her fault! She hadn't invited Brad to kiss her. How could Justin blame her for that?

Her phone vibrated and she grabbed for it excitedly hoping it was Justin. She rolled her eyes when she saw Brad's name and considered ignoring the call, but she decided that wouldn't solve anything. They needed to work this out.

"Hello, Brad."

"Hey. How are you?" He asked cheerily, ignoring her icy tone.

"Fine."

Brad cringed. One-word answers were never a good sign. She was even angrier than he thought.

"Don't hate me, Jen. I just wanted to remind you of what we had; of what we could have again."

'Could have again?' Jen's skin prickled as her temper flared. He couldn't be serious. He had ruined everything and now he was pretending as though nothing happened?

"You're still so selfish! It's all about what Brad wants, isn't it? What about what I want? Does that matter?"

After a short silence Brad said "I need to see you."