thirteen

all the pretty stars shine for you

the third thing jaebum gives jinyoung is an explanation.

''jinyoung-ah, do you know of rain soulmates?'', jaebum's mind is made up.

''wha- i've heard about it when i was younger, but'', jinyoung pauses, looking into jaebum's faltering eyes, ''i've never taken an interest in it. why?''.

''it's said that, there will always be two people in each generation, soulmates, chosen for each other. and while there were always different soulmates, people who are meant to be other than those two, unlike them, they still have the chance to avoid being with their soulmate''.

''where is this going, hyung?'', jinyoung asks, his mind curious, but his heart not wanting to hear the rest.

''rain in this world never stops, isn't that right, jinyoung-ah?'', jaebum continues, deciding to leave jinyoung's question hanging in the air. jinyoung nods in agreement, throwing a quick glance to the window and the rain outside, the sound becoming more prominent.

''that means this generation's rain soulmates haven't found each other yet. it means they aren't together yet- and the way the rain gets worse day by day, it means that one, or both, are with someone who isn't their soulmate'', jaebum's voice begins to get weaker, jinyoung still not seeing what the older is trying to say. ''when the two soulmates find each other, rain stops falling, until the next generation's soulmates are born''.

''jinyoung-ah'', he pauses, looking down at their tangled hands, ''i'm not your soulmate''.

jinyoung's eyes widen, but he keeps quiet, hoping that jaebum tells him it's not how he thinks it is.

''the reason you suddenly started to feel dread towards the rain when i left, it only meant you were finally feeling its presence in your life'', his voice cracks, he keeps holding onto jinyoung's hands.

''but i love- i love you, hyung'', jinyoung's words are breathless, shaking in the air, and jaebum offers a small smile.

''i love you too, jinyoung-ah, but you can't do anything against fate'', he still keeps on smiling, but it's a sad smile and jinyoung knows there's no sincerity behind it.

jinyoung looks down. jaebum's right. jaebum's right and he knows it. the rain outside echoes in his head. it's all because of a stupid thing called fate.

a knock on the door interrupts them, and after a few seconds mark walks in, eyes red and eyebags prominent. he'd been crying, jinyoung concludes.

jinyoung has many things to say to jaebum, many tears and many goodbyes to spill, many promises to make, many kisses to steal. he has so much to live through, all the plans they had, to make them come true. he has so many things he wants to do with jaebum, but they both know it's impossible.

a voice in his head asks him why he even believes the shit that jaebum tells him, but it's not just jaebum, it's him. since he had heard about it, jinyoung feels the truth of jaebum's words. he feels rain, rainwater running through his being, rainwater controlling his body. he feels his heart divided into two - a place for jaebum, and a different, forced one - a place for his soulmate.

jaebum lets jinyoung's hand go, and distances himself from him. when his hand gets replaced with marks, jinyoung's eyes go wide, as the loud sound of a rainstorm outside ceases to exist. he looks through the window, looking for a mistake, but it's the truth.

the rain stops.

he looks back at mark, who doesn't meet his eyes, instead just staring at the way their hands connect.

jinyoung's eyes widen further, and he can't help his body, his hand snapping out of mark's, and running out of the room. he could hear the sound of rain returning as soon as their hands were seperated. he runs past the other boys, all eyeing him curiously, and runs out on to the rain. he feels the warmth of a summer rainstorm hitting his body. his eyesight is slightly hazed, his ears overwhelmed. the rain is loud, too loud. it's been a while since he's conciously been out in the rain, jinyoung thinks.

standing like that, soaked in rainwater, jinyoung fails to notice his own tears.

the third thing jaebum gives jinyoung is an explanation, and that might've just broken him.

  ▬  

the big chapter where the explanation of the plot of serein finally comes to life!!! i hope yall enjoy:')

3/4 completed!!