Chapter 8

Taro's POV

Osana, Ayano and I were heading to the gymnasium, until we met..

Him again.

'Budo..'

My head ached once again. My blood boiling to just stab him right here, right now, but I refrained myself. I have to act like an innocent person right now, otherwise, it would be suspicious.

"Hello guys!" Budo yelled. Ayano smiled slightly at him with a small head tilt. Why can't she look at me like that? I want to see her smile, the smile where her eyes shine bright every time she looks at me. I want to see her black hair move along with the wind. I want to see her body move towards me in a way that she notices that I'm here.

But it's not always like that, is it?

"Hello Budo," I greeted him. He smiles at me and pats my back harshly. I flinched and tried to get along with it.

"Good to see ya buddy," he chuckled slightly at Taro's reaction.

"Good morning Budo-Senpai," Ayano responded. Budo waved his hand at her and said his hello. Osana, on the other hand, refused to say hello to him, most likely because of that small little fight that happened before.

A small chat happened between Ayano and Budo while a crowd of people followed us all to the gymnasium. Everyone was talking about what they think is going to happen.

A minute has passed, and nothing has happened so far. The last few people just came in and took their seats, and now everyone is waiting for the announcement.

Another minute has passed. A person is now walking up to the stage, and is currently in front of the microphone. Everyone begins to quiet down.

"Attention ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to the 2017 Akademi School Festival!" Everyone began to clap and cheer. I turned towards Ayano, and her eyes were filled with curiosity. I didn't blame her though, but I felt like something bad is going to happen, like something abnormal is going to happen.

"I now present to you, Megami Saikou!" Another cheer escaped out of the crowd. Something was definitely off about this year, and I don't know what. My eyes narrowed as she walked towards the microphone.

"Hello dear students of this school. I would like to inform you that-", but before she could say anything, an alarm went off from the school, and the gymnasium was quickly flooded with smoke. I quickly held my hands with Ayano's, pulled her out of her chair, and ran towards the exit. Everyone kept screaming for help, praying, and running towards the exit. My eyes were clouded with the fog, as I continued to run towards the door. Ayano kept close to me, her hand continued to hold onto mine.

Air. All we need was air. I was coughing really badly. I had to get Ayano escape. I don't care if it's me, I only care about Ayano.

Once we escaped, I breathed in and out, in and out. My vision was too hazy, and I fell over onto my back. Ayano was over my body, shaking me.

"Hey Taro, are you okay? Please be okay! Taro! TARO!" She called out for me. My eyes began to flash from real life to black, and soon enough, only darkness enveloped me.

...

'Hey, it's me.'

'I need to tell you something.'

'It's been an hour since you've blacked out.'

'Ayano is really worried about you.'

...

'Hey, it's me again.'

'You've been out for two hours now.'

'Ayano is crying.'

'She wants you to wake up.'

...

'I'm sorry.'

'I didn't know that it was going to happen in the gymnasium.'

'It's all my fault.'

'I shouldn't have asked to bring everyone to the gymnasium.'

...

I opened my eyes to see that I'm in a white room with almost three-fourths of the entire school. Apparently, I'm the first to wake up.

I searched around the room to see some of my former students. I saw Osana, Budo, Kizana, Megami, and more, but no sight of Ayano. Good. She was safe.

Two nurses were currently in the room, checking up on everyone. Both of them were now facing me.

"Oh, you're awake," called out one of them. She had an American voice, compared to a normal Japanese voice. I nodded my head at her.

"Some people are in the waiting room, waiting for at least one person to wake up," the other told me. She had a cool, soft tone to her voice. It was obvious she was an original Japanese woman. My feet now touched the cold floor, and went out to the waiting room, which was coincidently across the room I was currently in.

Once I opened the door of the waiting room, widened eyes were staring at me, as if I just came back from the dead.

Only one person came up to me and hug me tightly.

Ayano.