Chapter 13

Madi's POV
I woke up to the smell of sizzling bacon and brewing coffee so I jumped out of bed faster than I ever have before and ran down the stairs. "Wow. Someone became a morning person out of nowhere." Kris said from the bar before taking a sip of his coffee. "Hey, when there's bacon and coffee involved, I'll get up as early as needed." I told him. "Damn I wish you would've told me that about 7 months ago." He replied. "Kris!" His mom said and we all laughed. "Good morning princess." Kris jokingly said as Nick drug himself into the kitchen. "Shut the hell up." Nick replied as he walked toward the coffee pot. "Babe, he's not like you. Bacon doesn't even make him a morning person." Kris said and I laughed. "Who drank all to damn coffee?" Nick asked and I hid my cup while trying not to laugh. "By the way everybody, we're throwing a barbecue tonight so I don't care what you do today just be back here by 5!" Sue announced. "Oh come on! I was gonna go to the club tonight!" Mike joked as he walked in. "I swear I'm married to a 20 year old." She said looking at us. Mike looked in our direction and Nick and Kris both just nodded their heads, agreeing with there mother causing laughter from me and Sue.

Kris's POV
After we finished breakfast, I went to my old room and FaceTimed Madi's dad. "Kris! What's up my man!" Mr. Tubb said into the phone. "I need to ask you something very very important..."

"Nick wait up!" I yelled to my brother as he walked toward his truck. "Where ya headed?" I asked. "I was gonna go to that mall. Maybe Academy." He told me. "Mind if I tag along?" I asked and he agreed so we both got in the truck. "So. What's your excuse to Madi for spending the day with your brother?" He asked me as he pulled out of the driveway. " 'But babe I haven't seen him in almost 10 months.' " I replied and he laughed.

We got to the mall and walked in. "Where do you wanna go first?" I asked Nick. "The food court." He replied. "Nick, we ate breakfast an hour ago." I told him. "Oh yeah." He said and I laughed. "Well then where do you wanna go?" He asked me. "Follow me." I said and started walking with Nick right behind me. When I stopped in front of the store, I turned to Nick and his jaw was on the floor. "You're serious? You're proposing?" He asked, excitement evident in his voice. A huge smile grew on his face when I nodded. "How long have y'all been together?" He asked. "Over a year." I told him. "So that's why you wanted to spend the day with your big brother." He said as we walked in the ring store and I laughed.

We shopped for a little while longer after I found the right ring. We were eating in the food court when all of a sudden, I saw Nick jump so I looked at him. "That's why we're having the cook out tonight! So you can propose!" He said, just now understanding. "Yes, Nick." I said with a laugh. "Are her parents coming?" He asked. "No. They can't make it. All of them have to work." I replied. "Wait. You asked for her hand right?" He continued to ask questions. "Yes, Nick." I responded and he smiled again. After we finished eating, we went back to the house. When we got there, I gave Nick the ring box so Madi wouldn't see it.

"Hey. Did y'all buy anything?" Madi asked as she walked in the room. "Nope." I said quickly hugging and kissing her as Nick stuffed to box in his pocket and walked out of the room. "What's wrong with him?" She asked after Nick was out. "He's had to pee for a while." I spit out the first thing that came to mind and she bought it. I can't help but feel like I'm lying to her but I keep reminding myself of the reward at the end of the day. I kiss her head before walking out of the room, heading in the same direction that Nick went. I found him in his old room on his phone. "Where's the ring?" I asked. "In my underwear draw." I said pointing to the top drawer of his dresser. "Dude really?" I commented opening the drawer. "What? They're clean. I promise." He replied and I laughed. "You're gonna have to hold onto this until the right time." I told him and he nodded. We discussed the plan for tonight for a few minutes until Madi came upstairs. "Do y'all wanna come play corn hole?" She asked, standing in the doorway. "Hell yes." Nick and I said in unison as we got up and walked to the back yard. "I got dibs on Kris!" Nick yelled and jumped on my back. "Nick, don't you think Kris should be partners with his girlfriend?" Mom asked. "But Kris and I have been partners since the beginning!" He whined. "It's fine! I'll be Mike's partner!" Madi announced. Nick stood on the same side as dad and Madi stood by me.

Nick and I ended up getting our asses handed to us. We lost 21-8 and I'm never gonna hear the end of it from Madi. Right as we finished our game, people started arriving for the cookout and dad fired up the grill. Everyone was standing around talking and throwing corn hole when someone pulled into the driveway honking their horn. "Uncle Rob." Nick and I said in unison. Rob is mom's brother. We invite him to every get together we have because he has a bunch of hi-tech karaoke equipment. "The party has arrived!" He yelled as he got out of his truck. He quickly got the equipment set up and people started singing and I pulled Rob to the side where no one could hear us. "I need a favor from you." I bluntly said. "Anything." He replied. "When I tell you to, I need you to play this song. I'm gonna get Madison to sing it and then when I give you a signal, turn it off. That's when the magic will happen." I said as I handed him a piece of paper and he agreed.

It's been about an hour and if I don't do this now, it won't happen. I told Madi to get a microphone then told Uncle Rob to play the song. She was about halfway through it when I decided it was time. I got the box from Nick, walked up behind Madi, got down on one knee and told Rob to cut the music. "What the heck Rob!" Madi jokingly fussed at him. "Babe turn around." I said. She turned and looked where my my head would be if I was standing up then she looked down and saw me. She instantly covered her mouth with her hands and started crying. Nick handed me a mic and I began to speak. "Madison, look at me." I chuckled and she lifted her head up, leaving one hand over her mouth, tears still streaming down her face. "When I first met you, you were the new girl. You had just gotten a job with the Cubs. Out of the whole team, Joe made me show you around Wrigley. He could've chosen anybody. But he chose me. In my opinion, God had a lot to do with that. Things happen for a reason and I believe this is the reason us meeting happened. You are the love of my life and I can see us having kids, growing old together, getting more dogs..." when I mentioned the dogs she began to laugh. "So, I'm gonna stop rambling now and just get to the point." I reached in my pocket and pulled out the ring box and opening it. "Madison Tubb, will you marry me?" I asked. "Yes, yes, a million times yes!" She said as she wrapped her arms around my neck and kissed me. I stood up and took the ring out of its box and slid it on her finger as everyone cheered.

After everyone went back to doing what they were doing, Madi FaceTimed her dad. "Daddy! Looookkkk!" She said holding up her hand, showing him the ring. "I already knew this was happening." He casually said. "Wait... You asked for permission to marry me?" She asked, turning her attention to me. "Of course I did." I replied and a huge smile grew on her face as she hugged me.

Later that night, Madi and I were sitting on the couch after everyone else had gone to bed. I looked away from the tv and looked down at her. She was just sitting there smiling and admiring her ring. "How much did you pay for this?" She asked. "That's for me to know and for you to never find out." I told her as I laughed and she rolled her eyes. She then took out her phone and opened up the camera, turning it towards us. She held up her hand and we smiled as she snapped to picture. 'Madi_tubb23: So super excited to spend the rest of my life with my absolute best friend and true love💘 @kris_bryant17.' I watched as she typed her Instagram caption before hitting share. "I love you." I told her. "I love you too." She replied with a smile and a kiss.
~~~~~~~~
I had some much fun writing this chapter!! Ahhhh! I hope y'all enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it! Please leave your thoughts in the comments!❤️