Horizons - Chapter 4 - Speech.

Horizons. 

Chapter 4.

Harry p.o.v

This year has gone ridiculously quick , it doesn't seem like a few days ago we were moving into the house, and now or in a month or two it will be a year ago, and we'll have a baby, that doesn't seem right, I didn't even know her at the start of last year but it will never be the same again, I feel like from the moment I saw her after all those years on the train , we were going to end up together, or dead. 

It's 6 days until the reaping and I'm so nervous, in a second we both have to go on stage and do mentors speeches to the whole district, I know pretty much what I want to say but I know the main thing I'm going to mention is the letter we got from snow and what it said about Flora, because obviously they need to know as Beth's mum will be mentoring the girl if the unthinkable happens. They don't know Flora's pregnant either but they're bound to be annoyed about the whole rule change anyway.

We're behind the stage that has been constructed in the square and will remain there until after the reaping, I watch Flora as she paces up and down. she's wearing a cream coloured shirt and blue jeans, but the shirts baggy enough so you don't really see anything, I can find the slight outline of it though but it's only because I know. 

"Can you remember what you gotta say ?" I say, her eyes flick to me, bright green and wide with nerves. 

"Yep I think so.." She says. 

"Why do you look so terrified then ?" I smile. 

"I'm fine! I just... I don't know!" She says with exasperation. She turns to the side. 

"Can you tell ?" She asks, turning to the side, actually from the side I can but I'm not gonna say that, it will start a whole new load of panic, gotta be careful how you handle her these days. 

"No invisible" I grin just as Gregory Wilder comes down the stairs, he's still 12's district ambassador, creep. 

"You're up" He says to her, we both watch as she goes up the stairs. 

"Would be such a shame if that poor pretty young thing had to go back into the arena wouldn't it" He grins, of course it wouldn't for him, he'd love watching her fight to the death for the 2nd year in a row. 

"More than you could know" I say standing up, I'm nearly as tall as him now. 

"Don't see what more there is to know" He says raising his head sneering at me. I want to tell him now about the baby, I'd love to see the look on his face, only someone disgusting would endorse Flora being in the arena then, but then again I wouldn't put it past him. 

"Oh alot" I say nudging him slightly as I back off and go to listen to Flora at the bottom of the stage steps. 

"Well I never thought I'd be here, it's more than I could have hoped for really but...." she continues, I smile,I suppose it is, I mean we got out together after all but it could all be ruined and that's what makes it most degrading. 

"You were brilliant!" I say pulling her into a hug as she comes off stage and Gregory goes past to introduce me. 

"You think?" She says. 

"Yep I heard it all!" I say. 

"Good Luck!" she whispers in my ear as Gregory comes back down the steps. 

"You're on" He sneers at me and I head up the steps, I arrive on the empty stage and take my place in front of the podium, I look down at the sad faces of the children and their parents, reaping is no celebration like the Capitol makes out. I pick out Louis and the boys in the crowd before I realise there's an expectant pause. 

"Well... I know I'm obviously not part of this district, but you have made me and my friend's feel incredibly welcome, and I hope to continue living happily in your flourishing district and lead your sons to victory...." People are smiling though, I suppose by being with Flora, I've been accepted, she was well loved and often used to give game free to starving families, I also think a few people must remember me, they've gotta do I was quite recognisable.

"But even if our district passes through victory, it too of course suffers great loss, such as this year Ade" This raises no emotion from the crowd, he was horrible in the arena, I continue on for a bit, probably talking total rubbish. 

"I actually have something important to say after all this rubbish" I laugh and smiles and whispers scatter through the crowd.

"Yesterday we got a letter saying there has been rule changes within the Hunger Games, one of which involving Flora and her alone.." I say, everybody's attention is on me. 

"Flora's name will this year be entered into the reaping, they have abolished the rule about victors not being entered and as she is the only one left in the appropriate age range..." I say, I pause for a silent and the whispers almost seem angry and slight shock ripples throughm but then again it is an incredibly Capitol thing to do and everybody knows Snow was angry about 3 people getting out. 

"But for the female tribute mentor, Jessica will be taking Flora's place if those rare circumstances occur and she will of course do a sterling job, thankyou everyone, have a nice evening" I say with a wave as I walk off, I let out a huge sigh of releif I know people aren't happy about it, Flora greets me at the bottom as Gregory pushes past again. 

She buries her face in my chest clinging onto me. 

"Flora, what's wrong ?" I murmer. 

"I don't wanna go back!" She says crying. 

"It's okay you won't, they'll never pick your name, the chance is so narrow!" I say holding her to me. 

"But what if it happens, I can't!" She says still crying, a member of crew from the capitol come's in and see's us. 

"Emm, you can go now" he says awkwardly before backing away.

"Come on, let's get you home" I say prising her from my chest and putting my arm around her guiding her out the back way so as to avoid the crowds leaving the square.