Horizons - Chapter 13 - Pumped up Kicks.

This chapter is Pumped up kicks by Foster The People and although it doesn't seem it at first listen, it's about shootings, and killings, and pretty sad tbh. So Kinda relevant yeah. :) 

Horizons. 

Chapter 13.

Flora p.o.v

3rd day. 9 dead, and usually 2nd and 3rd day things are pretty dead, usually only about 3 die. This is rare, so rare either traps are particularly sinister this year or the career's pack are, I find myself thinking it will be the latter. 

We haven't had problems from anyone or anything though, we've just been skirting the border of the arena I even saw and heard the buzz of the forcefield at one point, but there's one main problem, there is no water as of yet, and I'm sure there is a special way to find it, or they're going release it soon. 

But the heat is stifling, I need constant shade and we have to keep stopping there's not a hint of moisture on this savannah, our water supplies are dwindling dangerously low, and I'm worried about Jet, he's trying to give me all the food and water but the strain is showing, he needs it too, and I'm sure I'm holding him back. 

I try to ignore the next wave of nausea, Jet's slightly ahead of me, I try not to let anything show, everything I do will upset Harry, I'm mulling over how to make my inevitable death easier for him, suicide wouldn't do it, I just don't have the answers anymore.

I close my eyes steadying my breaths and desperately trying to moisten my dry mouth, the heat is making my throat ache, I'm wearing sun lotion but I can feel the heat boring through my skin, my shirt and body warmer are ripped.

I see a clump of tree's move up ahead, the shade is so inviting. 

"Are you okay ? Do you need to stop again?" Asks Jet, turning round, he seems to be in higher spirits than me.

"Yeah.. just a sec" I say quietly barely getting the strength to climb the tree, I stop in a wide branch. And lie back. It's not comfy whatsoever but sleeping is the only thing I can do to hold energy. Jet asking if I'm alright is the last thing I see and hear before I drift into a hot oblivion. 

And then I'm running, and I feel the heat burning me all over like a rash, but I still run, I'm on the plane but in the old arena, I turn and behind me is a creature, one I couldn't even imagine, monstrously big, and it's Ade, but there's a glint in the eyes of something, someone more familliar to me now, I stumble and crash into the hot scratchy grass....

Then screaming, ear splitting, I can't stop and all I can see is black as the tears try to fall from my eyes but they can't they're just saw not an ounce of water left, I find myself whimpering. Then hands are on my shoulders. 

"Flora shutup, if there's anyone within three miles they'll have heard you!" He says, but I'm still distraught. 

"Harry?" I ask in confusion as I dare to open my eyes. 

"No... it's Jet" says the voice. Of course it's him who the fuck else would it be,I feel sorry for him, tied down in the arena of death with some other lads pregnant feyonce. 

"Oh yeah.. I'm sorry.." I say wiping my saw eyes. 

"It's fine.. do you want some water?" He asks thrusting the bottle at me. 

"No.. I couldn't I've had most of it already-" I protest. 

"Flora, seriously, just take it" He says locking my fingers around it,I take one sip. And he gives me a look making me take a mouthful, I'm instantly re-energised as I do it, I sigh closing my eyes. 

"Sorry about that.." I say leaning against the tree trunk letting my legs dangle over the edge.

"Don't worry, so are we bedding here for the night ?" He says. 

"As good a place as any I suppose..." I say. There's silence as I'm withdrawn for a second, I stare across the empty savannah it's almost beautiful if I wasn't in a certain death situation.

"Are you sure you're alright.." He says. 

"Yes.. I just want to make things easier, the longer I'm here the longer I take to die, the harder it is for everyone..." I say tucking my knee's under my chin. 

"Flora don't say that, you're not going to die" He says. 

"Oh so you are !? and the Monstrous career pack are going to let me kill them ? don't talk shit" I say angrily, it silences him. 

"I would die for you, and do everything to protect you until I do.." He says. 

"What?" I say looking at him narrowing my eyes. 

"I would die for you" He says. 

"I don't understand, why don't you want to win?" I ask. 

"Because I love you, and I want you to win.." He says looking at me, his dark eyes boring into me, he looks like he's in pain. 

"You what ?" I say horrified. 

"I love you, I always have liked you, but you didn't notice me, and then last year when you did so well in the games, it made me love you more..." He says. 

"No, no shutup, you can't just say that" I say panicking, as if it won't be bad enough for Harry already. 

"You wanted to know why I want you to win..." He says. 

"But you can't just say that.. nothing can happen okay, one of us will die" I say but eye contact is still there. 

"I know I can't have you, it's quite clear who you love and always will, but giving me life will be enough" He says looking down. 

"No, well yes you're right about the first bit, and I'm sorry okay but you'll find a nice girl when you win, they'll flock to you, but for now I think we should break this alliance" I say gulping. He could win if wanted to. 

"No, please Flora, don't go yet, I want you to win, if we have to we can break the alliance at the last minute..." He pleads. 

"Ugh.. okay, please, please no more shocking confessions or funny buisness, please ? I could do without it.." I murmer, resting my still achey and dehydrated head on the trunk.

"Fine, but I did something while you were sleeping..." He says. 

"And that is ?" I say confused. 

"I made you a bow.." He pulls it out from his back, full sized, pretty sturdy. It must have been fashioned from Acacia wood, with tight bouncy string across it, it must have come in his pack. and then leaves wedged around the handle to make a good grip for my hand. 

"Thankyou... it's amazing" I say stroking it with light fingers, the string is springy, then a problem springs to mind. 

"How am I going to use it without arrows ?" I say sadly.

"A gift came for you" He grins and pulls out the silver parachute with a large unopened capsule. I take it gently but find the note with desperation. 

'Beth's mum gathered the sponsors for the these and beleive me love there's alot of them who want you to win, knock them dead, love you forever. H xxx' I smile and fold the note up slipping into my shirt pocket, before opening the capsule, 12 shiny gold arrows perfectly smooth and cool in my fingers.