Horizons - Chapter 12 - Red

Basically I've decided to make a little change to the way I do the chapters, each will be named after a song, and I suppose the song will kind of relate to chapter, but I'll put the Youtube link at the top, have a listen while you're reading, mostly just my favourite songs, this one, Daniel Merriweather - Red :) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGcLfL_t3L0

Horizons. 

Chapter 12. 

Harry p.o.v

I have been pacing for the last 28 hours, we're not allowed to hear anything from the arena until the second day, they could be urgently in need of something, she might even be on her own, I don't even understand why I've given myself time to think over every outcome from the cornucopia, she could be dead. 

"Harry sit down now, it's starting" Says Louis guiding me over to a space on the sofa next to him. I don't even know what to say now, I'm pretty much a nervous reck already! and it's day one.

The seal of Panem opens and the theme tune plays, I squeeze my eyes shut as Ceaser Flickerman introduces it. And then I hear the sixty second starting buzzer and snap my eyes open, I do a double take at the surroundings , a savannah, dry grass and a brilliant blue sky, but the sun looks so hot, a white flaming ball.

I look for Flora, her hair shining under the sun she's poised though, she know's what she has to do, I know she has a slight tactical advantage as she's been through it before, and then the buzzer, and she does a pretty impressive leap off of the podium. I don't want to watch but I'm glued to the TV, I'm also clinging to Louis. 

I hate the way they skip to the other tributes, people are dead already, this year is a bloodbath, worse than I've seen before, but the careers are vicious, 2 males, One strong white haired and most hauntingly red eyed, one big,mucsly and blonde, then 2 females one a female version of the blonde/muscly boy and the other small and dark with narrowed eyes who constantly looks angry. 

They get in three kills before it switches back to Flora, I know the whole district are waiting with baited breath, Jet seems to be doing pretty well. 

Then I find myself screaming at the TV as Flora's nearly out, but she runs in to save a little boy from the red eyed career. Louis pulls me back as Flora just escapes with her life and the career gives up on the chase going back into the massacre.

I relax a little but my heart is still pumping, I wish I was in there, she's lost jet already and he hasn't stopped running even though it must be the hottest part of the day and you can see the sweat on her. 

I will her to stop running as it flashes back to the main cornucopia, all tributes but the careers are dead or fled, including jet, who kills another boy who attacked him before taking off in the opposite direction to Flora. Well I guess he wasn't to know where she went. 

I suppose she must be panicking, there was no bow.. and now I think about it, she didn't get any weapons. They flick back to her and I suddenly realise her cheek is gushing blood, I grit my teeth but she doesn't even seem to be wincing as she finally stops running and climbs high into an acacia tree.

Before I can think about anything else though she's sick noisily over the edge of her branch, I see Hanna cover her eyes, I suppose that's not the worst thing you see in the arena, I can't help feeling useless, what can I possibly send her to help her ?

They flick to Jet, and he seems to be just trying to gain space between him and others, he flops under a clump of tree's and high grass.

I don't even want to watch anymore. 

"Harry we can turn it off?" whispers Lou. 

"Shutup, I need to see if she survived okay?" I say a little bit more angry than intented. 

"Okay.. but just chill a bit" He says as another tribute is bloodily murdered by the careers pack. Ironically it would be quite difficult seeing as that could easily be Flora, considering she's perched in a tree weaponless. I just about compose myself through the afternoon hours, soon the sky is glowing orange and it's back on Jet, he seems to have been walking for ages, I suppose you can't get in the tributes heads so it's impossible to know where he's going, suddenly the atmosphere's silent, no music or commentary. 

"Jet!" I hear a voice, and it's Flora's. They're soon safely up in the tree and he's even given Flora some weapons. 

They fast forward it and I watch the tributes bedding down for the night, and then the seal of Panem, well she's alive and she has a good alliance with someone I can trust. For now, but I can't help being rattled by it all, how I have to go through this, each and every day until she dies... 

I storm out of the room making everyone jump stifiling tears as I flop down on my bed, I can't handle it anymore, why did Snow have to do this, we could have lived fine in 12, I would give anything for a bit longer with Flora, so she could have the baby. 

There must be a rule against this, but the Capitol don't do rules, they change them to suit their mood, even though I know there's been uproar over sending Flora in,in her condition.

I lift up my pillow and there's a picture of Flora, it was a poster they did from last year, her in her red catsuit on the chariot on the opening ceremony. I look at it, she's smiling but I know how terrified she was that night. 

I moved my fingers over the shiny crumpled paper, her cheek, I can almost feel her skin under my fingers now if I close my eyes and imagine hard enough, all I get from this is tears. I slip the picture back under my pillow and I drift into a nightmarish slumber.