Prologue

Dhinoo stepped slowly out of his family shelter, tilting his head as a slight breeze caused the leafy wreath around his neck to rustle. The wreath had been given to him by his niece, Josie, the day before, for good luck.

He looked back at the shelter and then at the surrounding bush. The spacious abode had been in his family for over five generations and he clearly remembered his younger years here. Growing up with his four siblings; the mischief caused by his younger brother, Semo… and, of course, the birth of his children.

I’ve been truly blessed, thought Dhinoo. He slowly scanned the front of his home as the breeze strengthened and brushed up the large horn dominating his face, telling him it would be a cold winter. Dhinoo closed his eyes, remembering the green fields of spring and the warmth of the African sun on his body. The thought now of hiking the generally flat lands of the park and spending more time with his family filled his rhino heart with great joy.

Yes, it’s been a long, but fulfilling, life. He snorted.

Dhinoo had spent many years building up an area that was not only suitable for his children to live in, but that was worthy of all of nature’s children. He would leave a legacy worthy of any tribe. 

Life is still far from over. He chuckled softly to himself. The thought of spending precious time with his children and the soon-to-be first grandchild added further excitement. This would be his last walk out into the park alone. He had represented and led the animals of the region known as Umzantsi for many years. They had been aware of Dhinoo’s strong moral and ethical strength, and had been happy to allow him to be the youngest member of council. The politics of the other animals had always been vigorous, but he had learnt to build his voice and stand for the truth and the best interests of his fellow animals. The fire in him still burnt strongly, and he knew that he would always stand up for those weaker than himself. The rhinos were a proud breed that took their duties very seriously. Dhinoo understood this, and so did the rest of the park. The rhino clan in Umzantsi, and the rest of the park, had always been known as the enforcers of justice, their decisions based upon a deep introspection that resulted in a firm judgment that was rarely, if ever, altered. Dhinoo was a true embodiment of the ideals of the rhino heritage.

His father’s words echoed through his mind.

Your life should always be a reflection of the ideals of the rhino clan. Your legacy should be that of truth, justice and honour. There are many animals in this park that cannot stand for themselves, but there are also those that will take advantage of any weakness. We live in a very competitive and destructive environment, but we survive; the strongest, the weakest, those in the middle and those who just don’t know where they belong. The founding fathers of the rhino clan have played a crucial role in defining this environment where we can all co-exist, and it should always be defended from all forms of arrogance, tyranny and extreme ambition. The rhino life should be the embodiment of this promise.

Dhinoo had adopted these ideals and applied them during the formation of the council, the highest governing body of this park. He would continue to do so as long as he lived. He had fought for the Umzantsi region and ensured its continued prosperity; he had ensured that all voices were heard. But he had also realised that, with the growth of the park, many more animals had come to co-exist here, and this had brought about much complexity. The governing structure as set out by the founding members needed revision and this idea of change had not been taken well by the rest of the council members.

Dhinoo slowly opened his eyes, and lumbered to his feet as his aching joints screamed with pain. It was time to start his journey to the third council meeting of the year. The council meeting always rotated through the different regions of the park, and today’s was in Umzantsi, Dhinoo’s region. The journey would not be tiring, but the thought of the discussions that lay ahead added weight to his already sagging shoulders.