12) Sai x Reader: Meaningless

"You mean nothing to me."

The world was silent except for the crickets miles in the distance. Sai continued to smile at you.

"You can't mean that." You replied. Hot pain started to rise in your chest.

Sai studied your expression with a complacent tilt of his head.

"I don't know what's happening but I know that isn't true..." you choked, "it can't be..."

"Make the effort to understand." He said.

Then you heard him leave. And when you looked up, he was gone.

White fluffy clouds outweighed the blue of the sky, the day you met Sai. Heading back down the street from the Hokage's office, you heard Naruto yelling at... someone. You sighed.

Nothing new, really.

"YOU CAN'T JUST CALL PEOPLE FAT."

"You said nicknames were usually based on a characteristic."

Standing outside Ichiraku's were Naruto, Sakura, and a boy the likes of which you'd never seen.

"YOU HAVE TO BE NICE ABOUT IT."

"Hey knucklehead!" You called loudly to Naruto.

Sakura high fived her face while the pale boy raised his eyebrows.

"Y/n, you're not exactly helping my case here!" Naruto whined.

"Nicknames are nicknames, as long as they're meant with love." You said, wrapping an arm around Naruto's shoulders.

You missed the days when he was shorter than you.

"Sai, try it again," Sakura beckoned. "Introduce yourself to y/n and don't say anything stupid."

The Sai fellow stepped in front of you while Naruto pushed you in front of him. Any frustration Naruto felt must've disappeared because now he waited with some sort of expectancy you didn't undcerstand. He might as well have been eating popcorn.

The raven haired shinobi smiled brightly and stiffly gave out his hand.

"Nice to meet you y/n, my name is Sai."

"Nice to meet you too." You said, shaking his hand, but not before instantly pulling away.

"OW WHAT GIVES, MAN?!"

You clutched your hand and had half a mind to sock him in the jaw for crushing your hand with such a tight grip.

"Did I do something wrong?" The boy asked inquisitively.

"That's not how you're supposed to shake hands," Sakura said, one hundred percent done.

"Oh, I'm sorry." Sai smiled at you again. He pulled out a book from his bag and turned to a specific set of pages.

"It says here... Strong friendships begin with strong handshakes... approach with a welcoming demeanor and shake their hand firmly." He read aloud. "Oh, then on the next page it says, 'but don't crush them.' I hadn't made it there yet."

You looked at Naruto and Sakura wondering what the heck they were doing with this robot.

As if reading your mind, Sakura answered.

"Sai is with us on team Kakashi for a while... and no, there's nothing we can do about it." She gritted her teeth.

"I am sorry for hurting you." Sai said with a smile.