Chapter 3

Chapter 3

It was Sunday morning and we were loading everything we owned into a truck. On the last trip inside I looked around one last time. Memories flooded back. One was the time I found out about fairies. I was twelve years old. Sitting on my bed, I felt a huge pain in my back.

“Ouch.” I yelped. I ran to the bathroom to look at my back. The pain was excruciating. I yanked off my shirt and looked at my back. There were two silver things coming out. I ran to my mom’s room completely frightened. When I got there she took one look at my tear-stained face and knew what had happened. Walking over to me, she wrapped around me. In a low whisper she said.

“I know how you feel. I can explain everything.” There she told me what we were, fairy history, and why there were so few. Fairies have an enemy, one much stronger than all of us. The enemies were Vampires. Vampires hunt and kill Fairies. They’ve done it for a very long time now. But we have developed protection against them. We hide in the human world and act like humans, living there way of life.

My mother’s voice brought me out of my thoughts.

“Did we get everything?” She asked. She pushed her brown hair behind her ear. Looking around the room I noticed the table my dad got for us when I was younger.

“We can’t leave that.” I stated pointing to the table. My mom’s eyes followed and she shook her head.

“We have to leave it here. We already have enough furniture. It will just be extra work.” She put her hand on my shoulder. She said something so low that I barely heard it. “Your father made his choice.” I looked at the ground feeling sad. She was referring to another reason there were so few Fairies. Some Fairies, like my father, don’t except being different, so they have their wings removed. It was a very painful process but some think it’s worth it. My father decided this a young age.  After he married my mother, they disagreed on how to live as a Fairy. So off he went and so did his wings. My brother, Landon, went with him. We don’t know if he has his wings or not.

“Let’s get going.” My mom interrupted my thoughts. We grabbed the last few boxes and went to the truck. As we drove away, I looked back at the house, hoping for one more glance when something caught my eye. A figure was standing next to a tree. Before I could get a good look at who it was, they were gone.