Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Thirty minutes later, I was still waiting for Kendall. I started plucking strings out of the chair I was sitting in. Principle Saltzman offered me coffee.

“No thanks, I don’t like coffee.” As I said this a boy walked in. He was about my age maybe older. He had light brown hair and baby-blue eyes. Kendall. He walked to the chair next to me.

“Who doesn’t like coffee?” he said. Mr. Saltzman ignored him. He handed a cup to Kendall.

“I brought you both here because I want you, Kendall, to tutor Vivian.” He said. We both looked at each other, taking in every detail of each other’s appearance. Turning back to the principle, I said “Okay, let’s get started.” Kendall nodded in agreement.

“Don’t you want to get to know each other first?” He looked at us desperately, hoping we would change our minds. After a moment of silence, Kendall stood up.

“I have to go. Let’s meet tomorrow, after school in the cafeteria.” And he was gone.

“I have to go too.” I said grabbing my books and scuttled out of the room.

When I got home, I sat at the kitchen table. My mom came in and sat across from me.

“How was school?” She asked. 

“It was okay. I got stuck with a tutor.” I said looking at her. 

“Oh, what’s her name?” She looked curious.

“His name is Kendall Sparks.” 

“Is he cute?” She was prying, hoping to see if I’d start a relationship.

“No, I mean I don’t know. I just met him. I’m starving, let’s eat.” I changed the subject. Later that night I climbed into bed. I waited to fall asleep but I couldn’t. Finally, I went outside to fly. The air was cold but enjoyed being in it. I went back to my room and crawled under the blankets. I fell asleep worrying about school tomor