Chapter 24

Chapter 24

It was Wednesday afternoon, I was sitting in Kendall's car and I told him what happened with Mr. Morgenson. "He cut his own finger and wanted me to heal him." This really freaked me out. Why did he want to see my powers so badly? What was he hiding?

"He sounds strange. Did you tell your mom?" He asked. I shook my head. I wanted to but I'm pretty sure she already knew.

"I don't think you should be around this guy." He said protectively.

"You and me both." I agreed. We were driving back to my house. My mom was probably still at work. We have the house to ourselves. Or so I thought. When we got there Vincent was at the kitchen table waiting for us.

"How was school?" He asked and motioned us to join him. We sat in the chairs across from him.

"It was fine." I said and sat my bag down.

"Your mother told me about Connor Morgenson. He sounds nuts." He confirmed my thoughts.

"The whole thing was nuts." I countered.

"So you can heal people, have super-speed, and mind control. He was probably fascinated. I know I am." Vincent's eyes were on me as if I could solve the world's problems. "Will you use your mind control on me? I didn't get the chance to enjoy it last time." I sighed. He wasn't giving up on this. I closed my eyes and pictured the table shake. Vincent looked hypnotised. Then I made the table rise and fall. Kendall watched us, clearly not knowing what was happening. I pulled us back into reality. Vincent stared at the untouched table.

"That was extraordinary, brown eyes. I've never seen a fairy be able to do that." His eyes were wide. His body was shaken. He was clearly amazed. I turned to Kendall. He was smiling.

"No one has ever been able to make him feel like that." He pointed out. A knock came at the door. I got up to answer it. Connor Morgenson was on the other side. He was still wearing that trench coat.

"My mom isn't here." I said so he would leave. But he shook his head.

"I'm actually here to see you." He looked tense. His mouth was in a tight line. "Can I come in?"

"Sure." He entered and followed me to the kitchen. Kendall and Vincent gave me surprised looks.

"This is Connor Morgenson. Mr. Morgenson this is Kendall and Vincent."

"It’s nice to meet you." Kendall said.

"The pleasure is mine." Mr. Morgenson replied.

I offered him a drink and we sat around the table.

"Viv has told us about you." Kendall smiled at him.

"Good things, I hope." He said more to himself.

"Of course." Vincent spoke for the first time.

"Vincent. As in Vincent Bloomingdale. I've heard many things about you. You have quite the reputation." Mr. Morgenson turned his attention to him.

"Well don't believe everything you hear." Vincent said innocently. There was something in his voice that sounded defensive. 

"I see, not everyone deserves their reputation." He said. He could see the change in Vincent’s mood. After a few beats of silence, it was clear they were done with their conversation.

"What brings you out here?" I asked Mr. Morgenson. He picked up his drink and took a long sip. Then he spoke.

"I told my colleagues about you. They want to meet you." He announced.

"I'm not sure if that's a good idea." Kendall's hand found mine. He looked completely composed, but I could tell he was totally against this.

"I know what you're thinking, but you're not going to be a science experiment. Please reconsider." He pleaded. He really wanted me to say yes. Right when I was about to turn him down, I got an idea.

"You know what, never mind. I would love to meet your colleagues." I smiled at him.

"That's wonderful. How about Saturday? Let's say about ten o'clock. Will you be there?"

"I wouldn't miss it." I replied. Mr. Morgenson was up to something and I was going to find out what it was.