Chapter 9//: I know I'm a monster

♕✿~♕✿~Chapter 9//: I know I'm a monster♕✿~♕✿~

Madison's POV

Finishing off the small piece of bread I was given, my stomach growls in protest. For the past few days, I haven't been getting a lot of food to eat. It was starting to take a toll on me, and show; I could start to feel my ribs as the fat on my body started to disappear.

Taking in a deep breath, I tried to calm my stomach by placing a fragile hand on it. It didn't help. Maybe if I went to sleep, I would feel better. I wouldn't have to feel the numb pain echoing throughout my whole body.

As I said my good byes to Damon and started heading for the small cot in my cell, I heard it.

Footsteps.

Heavy and foreboding, I wasn't getting a good feeling as the person was coming closer and closer to my cell. I saw the other prisoners drop their share of food in surprise and escape into the darkness. Who was here that was scaring them?

I felt my mouth go dry as the answer came: Nathan.

He was dressed in some classy black slacks, with a pure white shirt. Ironic, given all of the dirty and horrible deeds he's done in his life. In his outfit, he looked like a respectable young man. My mind flashed back to the night I had first saw him after a long time. That night of the ball, he had also looked like a powerful young Silver. But I knew now that it was all just a disguise he put up so he could blend in with everyone and evade authorities.

To my own horror, Nathan didn't ignore me and pass my cell. Instead, he made eye contact with me and started towards my cell. A sense of panic and fear shot through me, and I found myself unwillingly backing away a few steps. Curse my body and it's natural instincts.

Coming to a stop in front of my cell, Nathan clasps his hands behind his back. He gives me a smile, which others might perceive as charming, but I could only use the words crazy and mad to describe it.

Before any of us can say anything, Damon cuts in.

Leaning against the bars of his cell, he glares hatefully at Nathan. "What the hell are you doing here, you bastard? Didn't I tell you the last time that if you showed your face here again, I would beat the shit out of you?" Damon growls out.

Any sane person would have gotten the message and backed away from Damon's angry form. Even I felt myself shuffle back a few steps from him. I had no doubt that if there weren't bars holding him back, Damon would attack Nathan.

But Nathan isn't a sane person. Amusement twinkled in his eyes, and he let out a small chuckle before snapping his mouth closed, all traces of amusement gone from his face. His eyes narrowed into a threat, and his face became stony.

"If I were you, I would be careful of what I say. Your mother might get hurt, just like your father did," Nathan says in a low, dangerous murmur. Damon's eyes narrow, anger and worry swirling in those green depths. But he understands Nathan's threat, and backs away from the bars, grudgingly listening to Nathan.

I feel my gut twist at Nathan's words. It was absolutely sickening to think that someone could be alright with hurting others to have power and control. I can't help but wonder if Nathan was born a monster, or made this way.

Nathan focuses his eyes on me. A moment of silence passes between us, me not wanting to interact with him at all, and him trying to find the right words.

Finally, he settles on, "Hello, Addi."

I flinch involuntarily at the nostalgic nickname he had given me when we were children. Memories come to the surface of us spending our days with each other. I push them back, not wanting to connect the little boy from back then to the insufferable man in front of me.

Instead, I force steel into my voice as I ask him, "What do you want?"

Nathan purses his lips, and I can't help but mentally scoff. He actually looked slightly disappointed from my response. Was he expecting a warm response from his prisoner?

"I just came down here to see how you were, of course. After all, it's important to make sure you look the part to help me emotionally destroy Ahren." Nathan says this with nonchalance, a bored look on his face. He wants to get a reaction out of me. But I won't give him anything he wants with ease.

"If that's the only reason you're down here, then just walk yourself out. The door is over there." I point to the general direction of where Nathan came from.

He snickers a bit. "Are you sure you want me to leave? After all, I could give you some helpful information about what I plan to do. If you're curious, of course," Nathan says, again trying to get me to bend to his will. And it was difficult to resist. I was curious, but I didn't want to talk to Nathan at all. I didn't want to see him at all, or have another encounter with him in the future.

"The only information I would be willing to listen to is the purpose I have in your messed up plan. If you aren't going to provide that, then leave," I tell Nathan with a glare. He doesn't make any move to leave. I continue to glare at him, not willing to back down.

Then, Nathan shrugs. "Well, it's a pity you won't find that out until after I kill Ahren at his coronation. Don't worry, I'll make sure you get to see it on television," Nathan tells me in a taunting voice, just waiting to get a reaction out of me.

My blood runs cold at his words. Kill. Nathan was going to kill Ahren for whatever reason he had. Suddenly, my mind was running with questions that needed to be asked. But before I could get the words out, Nathan turned away from me and started to walk away.

"Hey! Come back! We aren't finished with this talk!" I yell in annoyance at his back.

He glances back at me as he says, "I thought you didn't want to talk to me unless the topic was about your purpose to me." He gives me a cruel smirk as he throws my words back in my face.

I let out a growl of annoyance as I slam my hands into the bars in anger. "You're a monster, Nathan! A monster! A monster who goes around killing innocents with no reason!" I yell at his retreating form, saying anything to get him to come back and give me answers.

Nathan stops and slowly turns around to face me again, his hands in his pockets. A dark look is on his face as he tells me calmly, "I know I'm a monster. You can blame Ahren. He made me one."

Without giving me a chance to respond, Nathan turns away from me and walks away, his footsteps echoing in the silence he left behind.

♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~

Sorry this was up a bit later than my other chapters. I was a bit busy, it being father's day week and all.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter. It took a bit more motivation to try and write this chapter, but I did it!

Have a good week

Glass_Sword