Chapter 30//: Ulterior motives

♕✿~♕✿~Chapter 30//: Ulterior motives♕✿~♕✿~

Madison's POV

Damon and the girl have a sort of stare-off, both of them looking at the other harshly. The girl lifts her head higher, staring down at Damon. Damon glares at her with hatred brimming within his eyes.

I clear my throat. I was curious as to who this girl was and why Damon seemed to hate her so much, but it wasn't any of my business.

Damon finally turns his gaze away from the girl, casting a cool look over me. He glances back at the girl, his jaw clenching.

The girl looks away from him, looking to me and Lucas. Surprise flickers through her eyes and she looks over me again, scrutinizing me and making me squirm under her attentiveness. She looks over at Lucas, and then lets out a humorless laugh.

"I would never have guessed that you would have a missing girl and a fugitive as your company." The girl sneered at Damon.

He didn't miss a beat. "And I would have never guessed that you would leave behind your own blood, yet here we are."

The girl's eyes turned cold, and both Lucas and I were left confused.

I make eye contact with Damon, and the confusion must be clear on my face because Damon takes the chance to introduce the girl to us. "This is Evelyn, my sister. Unfortunately."

Now that Damon has said it, the two do look alike. They both had the same dark skin, the same dark hair, and the same striking eyes. They were both around the same height, and they had similar facial features.

Evelyn turns to me and her demeanor completely changes. She gives me a smile, holding out a hand for me to shake. "I'm Damon's older sister," she says.

I move to shake her hand, but Damon grabs my hand and pushes it back to my side. "I wouldn't shake her hand. You never know what ulterior motives she's hiding," he says as he coldly looks at Evelyn.

She rolls her eyes at him. "I can't believe you're still angry about that. I just did what I had to do," she argues.

Damon shakes his head. "No, you just chose to be selfish. You left me in that prison when we tried to escape."

Everything seems to click into place when he says that. I look at the girl closely. I remember Damon accidentally slipping up the fact that he had tried to escape the prison with someone else. Based on the way he was acting with her, Evelyn was probably the one who he had tried to escape with.

Evelyn looks at the three of us, and something clicks in her mind. "You guys escaped," she states. Damon nods.

"Yeah. Guess your plan of leaving me trapped in that prison for the rest of my life didn't work out," he says. Evelyn lets out a sigh.

"You're never going to let that go. Why can't you understand that I did it out of panic?" she mutters. She turns to me.

"You guys are still close to the Rogue Dawn base. Do you need a place to stay?" she offers. I can see Damon already forming the word 'no' but I cut in.

"Yes, we'd appreciate it so much. Thank you," I tell her in gratitude. She nods back at me, and Damon sharply looks at me. I look back at it pointedly.