Chapter 20//: We'll never get out of this place alive

♕✿~♕✿~Chapter 20//: We'll never get out of this place alive♕✿~♕✿~

Madison's POV

Lucas' words make me stop breathing for a moment. I was worried that maybe this would all be a dream. That I would wake up and realize there was still no hope of Damon and I escaping.

But this was real. Escaping this place was possible. I could get out of this nightmare soon.

I look over to see Damon walk up to the bars connecting our cells. He looks at Lucas with wide eyes. "You'll really help us?" He asks him with slight disbelief.

Lucas nods. "Yes, I will." He turns to look at me. "Just tell me what I need to do."

Lucas and I move closer to Damon so that we can all talk in hushed tones. "Well, the biggest problem we have is getting out of this cell," Damon admits.

We're all silent. Damon and I had already checked, and it seemed as if all of the keyholes had been purposefully destroyed. That meant no one would have keys, and only magnetrons would be able to open and close these cells. And we didn't have a magnetron on our side to help us.

Lucas looks at the old, rusty bars of the cells. His brows were furrowed as he thought about something. "Maybe..." he started. He looked at us. "Tell me, would you guys be able to slide out of the cells if some bars were broken?"

I look at the width between the bars and then at myself. Over the past few weeks, I had lost a lot of weight. I felt as if I was just made out of bones. "I mean, I guess I could fit through if the width between the bars were a bit wider," I answer Lucas. Damon mutters the same thing.

"The bars are already really old and weak," Lucas tells us as he pulls on one of the bars. It lets out a squeaky protest and moves slightly. It's already loose at the bottom. My heart quickens at this new information. "If I just weaken the metal a bit more with my ability, maybe you guys can nudge it a bit so that you can squeeze between the bars."

I feel a smile start to turn my lips upwards. For once, it seemed as if everything was going to be fine. As far as I knew, Lucas was of House Nolle, who were Storms. They could control the weather to a certain extent. That meant Lucas could conjure up rainwater, maybe even acid rain, to corrode the metal.

"That might just work," Damon murmurs with a small smile. "We would also need a distraction on the day we try to escape."

Lucas nods. "I'll think up of a distraction. By the time I initiate a distraction, the bars should be corroded enough that you can move it a bit. Just do you best to squeeze through. And then, you guys need to get the hell out of here. I'll make sure the door to here is open for you guys," Lucas tells us.

"I'll make sure to be here to pass out breakfast, lunch, and dinner so I can corrode the bars each time." Lucas wraps his hands around the bottom of the same bar he had pulled on just a moment ago. He stares intently at the metal, and I can see droplets of water gathering at the bottom of the bar. He stays in this position for a little longer before letting go and releasing a sigh. I can already see the metal being corroded. Lucas moves to Damon's cell and does the same with one bar at his cell.

"I used acid rain to speed up the corrosion. Make sure to stay away from it," Lucas tells us. I nod and make sure to keep a distance from the bar Lucas touched. He stands up from his crouched position. "I'll corrode the metal as much as I can. Just stay tight and let me do the rest."

I nod once more at Lucas. Before he walks off, I grab his wrist. "Thank you, Lucas. This means a lot," I tell him earnestly. Lucas only swallows and nods at me. I let go of his wrist and watch as he walks off.

After watching Lucas walk around the corner, I turn to Damon who has a huge grin on his face. "Well, Madison, we just might be lucky. Maybe we'll actually be able to see the sun again."

I can't help but let out a small laugh of relief. "Yeah. Maybe we will." I grab the part of the metal bar not soaked with acid rain and push against it. It moves more than when Lucas had first pushed it. A smile makes its way on my lips. I had a feeling we would be able to escape very soon if Lucas kept on corroding the metal at this rate.

Looking at the movement of the bar, I felt real hope. For once, I believed that there was a chance for me to escape. Maybe I would be able to see Ahren, Sydney, my parents, Nick, Addaline, and Rose again. I could imagine it clearly now: after escaping this prison, I would get back to Archeon and see my family and friends. Nathan would get caught, and I won't have to deal with all of my pain anymore.

I shake my head. I shouldn't get so hopeful. There was still the very real threat of this plan failing. So many things could go wrong. I could get stuck between the bars. Lucas might not corrode the bars enough. We could get caught. Lucas' distraction may not work. Nathan could kill us if he caught us escaping. Or maybe Nathan, with his eyes and ears seemingly everywhere, already knew of our plan.

The last thought sent a shiver down my spine. The idea that he would know scared me. If we got caught, I was sure we'd lose our only chance at escape. Now would be the only chance of Damon and I escaping. And because of that, we have to make sure we don't get caught.

Otherwise, we'll never get out of this place alive.

♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~

Now, things will start to move along. Ahren is close to finding the hideout of the Rogue Dawn, and Madi is close to getting out. I wonder who'll succeed first ;)

Have a great rest of your week!

Glass_Sword