Chapter 35//: Bribery

♕✿~♕✿~Chapter 35//: Bribery♕✿~♕✿~

Madison's POV

When I'm forcefully pulled out of the car, I can barely see anything, the impact to my head still causing my vision to be rendered useless.

I bite down hard on my tongue, the taste of bile strong, as I land hard on my still-healing hands on the road. Next to me, I can hear the grunts of Lucas and Damon as they are thrown to the ground as well.

The blackness edging in the corners of my vision is no longer there, but the darkness of the night only lets me see silhouettes of people standing around us. The shadow of the car is far ahead; whoever these people were, they had taken care to make sure our best escape was away from us.

I freeze as I hear the cock of a gun right by my head.

"You're not going to scream or run or do anything or else I'm going to blow your brains out. Do you understand?" A voice says. I can only tell two things about this person from their voice: they're female, and I don't know them.

I consider using the techniques Lucas had taught me about disarming someone, but I know I'll most likely end up bleeding on the road. I haven't had enough practice, and it wasn't worth the risk.

The woman holding a gun to my head slowly pulls the gun away from my head, and the other people standing above us move towards the car, searching its contents. They were bandits by the look of it.

Around the three of us are three of the bandits, keeping a watch on us. Damon sits hunched over, holding his arm tightly. Lucas stares hard at the sky, almost like he's mad at it.

The bandits quickly discover the boxes of weapons in the back of the car, and restock their weapons supply. I sit quietly on the road, desperately trying to think of something that could let us escape from this unharmed.

When they start getting into the car, I act on impulse.

"What are you-" I cut off as a bandit cocks a gun at me. I shut my mouth, and Damon pulls me back down to the ground. Anger and indignation fumes inside of me, but also panic. If they took the car, there would be absolutely no way we could make it to Archeon in time.

"It's not worth it, Madison," Damon whispers to me as he keeps a strong hold on me. Lucas stays silent, still staring up at the stormy sky.

It takes a lot of effort to keep myself on the ground as the engine of the car starts. The group of bandits is so large that the majority of them have to resort to sitting in the open trunk of the car. They keep their guns pointed at us as the driver prepares to drive.

All of a sudden, a bright light shines, and I reflexively thrown myself down to the ground, closing my eyes tightly and covering my head. Even with my eyes closed, the light flashes brightly momentarily and startled yells sound around me. I feel someone grab my arm, pulling me up from the ground and making me run.

I open my eyes to see Lucas and Damon running side by side with me. I take the chance to glance behind me and see the car, the majority of it blackened to a crisp. Some of the bandits lay motionless on the ground, their skins burned. The others are bleeding from parts of their bodies and stagger around.

I turn away from the scene, unable to look at it any longer. The smell is horrible, and my gag reflex kicks in. I don't know what happened, but I wanted to get far away from here.