Chapter 41//: You promised

♕✿~♕✿~Chapter 41//: You promised♕✿~♕✿~

Ahren's POV

My head throbs, and I stumble as I push myself up from the ground. A gunshot sounds, and I stand up straight, alarmed.

In front of me, the man falls down, red blood seeping from his chest. My eyes narrow in confusion as I notice the color of his blood. When we had been fighting, he had been able to control my flames with ease.

But my curiosity and confusion about this situation is moved to the back of my mind as my eyes move to Madi, who stands there with the gun still raised, her hands holding the gun so tightly that they're shaking.

Her skin is pale and she looks to me. I move towards her, a relieved smile already growing on my face, but stop in horror as I notice the red blood seeping through her shirt, growing larger, with the edge of a knife sticking out of her body.

I rush over to her and am barely able to catch her as the gun slips out of her hand, her body becoming limp in my arms.

I gently lower her to the ground, holding her hand. "Stay with me," I plead with her as her eyes momentarily flutter. Panic ensues within me, and I find it hard to breathe momentarily.

Madi's hand moves to the knife, but stops midway. She lets her hand lower as she takes in a shaky breath. "I'm so tired, Ahren," she says quietly. "I just want to close my eyes and rest..."

I shake my head fervently, unable to find my voice as a lump forms in my throat.

I hear footsteps come up the steps and turn around to see a guard running up the stairs to the third floor. When he comes upon the bloody scene, his eyes widen.

"Get a healer! Now!" I order him sharply as I turn back to Madi with worry. She had to make it. After everything that's happened, I wouldn't let her die.

But all I can do right now is sit here and make sure she stays alive until the healer arrives. I couldn't remove the knife right now, or else there would be a risk of her bleeding out. In this moment, I felt utterly useless, and it was making me beyond frustrated.

A glassy look comes over Madi's eyes as she lethargically looks around. Alarm seizes me and I grip her hand tighter, bringing it up to my lips and placing a shaky kiss on her hand.

"You can't leave me, Madi," I whisper against her hand. "You promised, remember?" My voice cracks.

She swallows. "I know. I'm s-sorry. It looks like I'm n-not keeping my promise."

At her words, the dam in my eyes breaks and a sob racks through me, so powerful that I shudder. The thought that this might be my last moment with her scared me so much.

"No, you're going to keep your promise. You're going to survive this," I say, but my voice doesn't hold much confidence even to my own ears.

Would this truly be the last time I see Madi alive? I push the thought aside. My heart screamed no but my mind, looking at the blood that was continuing to spread, said maybe.

I didn't want to believe for a moment that she might die. But what if there was a possibility? I couldn't let this moment go to waste just in case it was.

I take in a deep breath, clasping Madi's hand in mine. The words I wanted to say were long overdue.

"I love you." The words leave my mouth with no hesitation. Her eyes widen at my words. I had never uttered those three words to her. I had always been waiting to say those words to the right person. And I know without a doubt that Madi is that person.

"No matter what happens, I'm going to be by your side. I'll never let you get hurt again, and I'm so sorry I couldn't protect you." My throat tightens, and I pause at the sudden emotions choking me.

I look down at her, rubbing my thumb on the back of her hand. I hope my eyes convey my feelings clearly to her.

"I love you, Madison Williams," I say with certainty, keeping my voice strong.

"I-I love you too, Ahren Calore," Madi whispers to me. She raises a shaky hand to my cheek, and I lean into her touch with desperation.

"I'm glad I got to s-say that to you before I die," she says quietly, her eyes starting to look hazy.

"Don't say that," I beg her. Tears start to fall down my face, and I can't do anything to control them. "Stay with me. Please. You promised," I tell her, holding her hand tightly as if I can hold her soul back from leaving her body.

I close my eyes as I lean forward to give her a kiss on her forehead, whispering "stay with me" over and over again until it sounds like a prayer.

"Please, Madi. I love you," I murmur gently against her skin, my breath hitching a bit as it gets harder for me to breathe.

I'm met with silence.

I open my eyes, looking down at her. Her eyes are closed, and she looks peaceful like she's simply sleeping. But I'm afraid this time, she's never going to wake up.

"Madi?" My voice gives out as I say her name. I clench her hand tightly, which suddenly feels too cold for comfort.

"Madi," I whisper her name hopelessly, just waiting to see her look up at me again.

The tears start coming down harder as the healer and the guard reach the third floor, a motionless Madi in my arms as I cradle her body, calling her name over and over again in the vain hope that she will respond.

She doesn't.

♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~♕✿~

OH GOSH I WAS STARTING TO TEAR UP A BIT WHILE WRITING THIS CHAPTER.

YES I KNOW I'M EVIL AND I KNOW YOU'RE ALL PLANNING MY ASSASSINATION AT THIS MOMENT.

So, do you guys think Madi is really dead? Or do you think she will survive?

I mean, at this point, I could make it go both ways ;)

I hope I succeeded in making you guys take a trip on the feels train!

Have a great rest of your week!

Glass_Sword