Chapter 40//: The final fight

♕✿~♕✿~Chapter 40//: The final fight♕✿~♕✿~

Madison's POV

I quickly make my way to the entrance hall and see that all of the guests are gathered there, pushing each other to get out of the palace first. Guards rush everywhere, trying to calm everyone down and regain order. However, no one listens to the guards, too caught up with what has happened to care.

A movement by the stairs makes me look over. Black hair turns the corner, going up the second set of stairs up to the third floor. Without a doubt, I know it's Nathan.

Once again, I push people out of my way. I reach the staircase, taking the steps two at a time. My breath comes in short pants as my pulse quickens. A weight slaps against my leg with each step I take, and I pause for a moment to remember the gun Damon had given me that was still waiting to be used in my pocket. I slowly pull it out, looking at it with apprehension. I had limited practice with the gun, but it was the only weapon I had on me.

I reach the second floor and quickly hurry up the second staircase where I had seen Nathan. I carefully step onto the third floor, looking around me. I couldn't see another person lurking by. Slowly, I walk further away from the stairs, my movement small and cautious.

"I didn't think you'd actually follow me up here."

I whip around to where the voice has come from, meeting the calculating blue eyes of Nathan. A lazy grin plays on his lips, and fear rushes through me just at the sight of him. The knife glinting in his hand doesn't help with my fear.

"Well someone needs to stop you once and for all," I tell him, doing my best to keep my voice level and steady. My heart beats rapidly against my rib cage, the blood rushing to my head.

He lets loose a cruel, sharp laugh that cuts through me. "Do you really think you can kill me, Addi?" he asks with a cold fire burning in his eyes as he shifts the knife in his hand. It's pointed outward, ready to cut through anything. He starts to circle around me.

I hold the gun firmly in my hand, turning off the safety. I start to circle as well, but I feel more like the prey here than the predator.

"I'll do my damn best."

Ahren's POV

Soon enough, only the memory of the pain is ingrained in my mind.

The wound no longer exists, healed by the healer. I sit up, immediately trying to look for Madi.

I wouldn't lose her again. I wouldn't.

The urgency in her eyes when she had told me she needed to go had me worried. I was absolutely afraid that she would get hurt or taken away from me for good this time.

As I make my way down the aisle, my head starts to throb from the yelling of the guests traveling down the halls. I shut my eyes close for a second, trying to get rid of the sudden dizziness overcoming me.

Throughout this, I hear a loud, piercing sob. I glance in the direction where the sound is coming from and notice a small boy hiding under one of the chairs, his eyes clamped shut in terror. Tears make tracks down his face.

I hurry over to the little boy's side, instincts taking over. "Sh, its alright," I tell him in a gentle voice, hoping this will make him calm down at least a little bit. He doesn't, only crying harder and attaching himself to my leg. I gently pick up the small boy, moving to exit the room.