chapter 5

“Take us home boy.” I said to my bird as he flew upwards through the cloud barrier and shot off towards Skyloft. Zelda’s grip on my arm tightened and I worried if she was still in pain or not.

            When we got closer to Skyloft I could see some people out on the plaza. The town children were there running around and chasing each other, along with a few older people. My bird took us to the front of the KnightsAcademy. I slowly slid off first and then carefully helped Zelda down as well, being careful not to hurt her or myself.

            I slowly opened the door to the academy where Zelda and I went to school. I was the orphan of the island so the academy was the safe place that I needed in order to stay dry or warm, I had enrolled as soon as I was old enough.

            My mother had died when I was born from blood loss and my father decided life wasn’t worth living without her, he killed himself when I was two years old. My life had been hard up until a few years ago, when I could finally make money. When I turned twelve I was finally able to work a little by cleaning houses, working in gardens or things like that. I would often go hungry before that or I would outgrow my clothes.

            Zelda had tried to look out for me as much as possible. Her father was headmaster of the academy and he would often feed me or buy me new clothes. Zelda’s mother had become ill when she was one and had died quickly. Her father, Headmaster Gaepora, was a kind man. He had a moustache and a goatee, white as snow, and a uni-brow that stretched around his head to his ears. He was hefty as well and wore a long orange robe. Luckily, Zelda was beautiful like her mother had been.

            Zelda grimaced as she limped beside me. I took her to instructor Owlan’s room and knocked on the door. He was the doctor of the island because he would study plants for medicinal properties. A young woman on the island, Orielle, was his “assistant” and would help him with women or with child birth. He also had the most medical experience of anyone on the island.

            Zelda was still holding my arm when instructor Owlan opened the door.

            “Link, Zelda! What on Skyloft happened to you?” he asked loudly. His hair was white and long and he always seemed to have a bored expression on his face.

            ”Um… it’s kind of a long story.” I mumbled

            “Oh? Well you can tell me while I tend to your wounds.”

            “Thank you instructor.” I said gratefully. He nodded and stepped to the side so we could enter the room, “Is there anything worse than cuts or bruises?” he asked quickly.

            “Well… I think I might have cracked a rib or two.” I said quietly.

            Zeldas’ eyes shot over to me immediately, “Link! I thought you said it wasn’t bad!?” she yelled at me, anger filled her voice.

            “I’m sorry…” I mumbled quickly, not wanting to be on the receiving side of a blow.

            “Well I’ll start with you Link, since you seem to have the worst of the injuries.” Instructor Owlan said. He placed his hand gently on my shoulder and sat me on the bed. I took my time sitting since it hurt to move too much or bend.

            Zelda sat net to me on my right and took my hand, my head snapped in her direction to look, making me hiss as pain shoot through my neck.

            “Hold still Link!” Instructor Owlan snapped at me. He took a cool cloth and began to wipe the blood from my neck. It hurt but I tried not to complain. He gave Zelda a cloth and instructed her to do the same to her leg. She began to remove her boots so she could take off her pants… my eyes shot in the other direction and the wall to my left became extremely fascinating.