chapter 7

Link’s POV

            I dropped Zeldas’ hand as soon as I saw his door knob turn. Headmaster Gaepora opened the door and stuck his head out. I tried to turn my head so that he could only see my good side but he had already caught a glimpse.

            “Link, Zelda? Is everything alright?” he asked us with his deep, concerned voice.

            “Yes headmaster, I was just bringing Zelda back to her room.” I said quickly before Zelda could say otherwise. She glanced at me and I hoped she wouldn’t tell, I couldn’t risk getting expelled and as much as I disliked him, I didn’t want Groose to either.

            “Zelda, is this true?” He asked Zelda as if he doubted me.

            “Yes, father.” Zelda replied calmly, “I was tired and I asked Link if he would walk me back to my room.”

            He looked at us with a questioning glare and asked, “Link, what happened to you?”

            “Oh… I fell.” I mumbled, trying to act embarrassed.

            “On your face?” He asked in disbelief. I could understand why though, I rarely fell, especially on my face, I was actually really light on my own feet. People would call me graceful and Groose would laugh at how girly it sounded.

            “Yeah, I tripped on the stairs…” I said. Zelda giggled as she played along and I glared at her as if I really cared.

            “Hm, well be careful, and I’ve wanted to talk to you recently, Link.” He said quietly, “Zelda, go ahead to your room, I’ll let Link out in a moment.”

            She nodded and went into her room without complaint. Headmaster Gaepora waved his hand at me to bring me to his room. I never liked his office; it was the place where we were scolded for doing something wrong. Only Zelda felt truly comfortable here, but I didn’t blame her, she loved to read and his walls were basically shelves covered in books and manuscripts from top to bottom.

            He sat at his desk in front of the window and pointed to the chair in front of it for me. I sat carefully, not knowing what to expect while he looked at me, as if studying my face.

            “Link, is there something you need to tell me?” He asked seriously. I looked down and thought for a moment. There were several things I wanted to tell him, some involved Groose, but mostly it was all about his daughter…

            “Um, not off the top of my head… why? Did you need something?” I asked, willing to answer his questions if he asked any.

            “Well it seems to me that you’ve been awfully close to Zelda recently, more than usual.” He said, and he was right. We went everywhere together. There was no Link without Zelda, and no Zelda without Link. We were two halves of one whole, and he had noticed the slightest difference.

            “Oh, that… I’m actually not sure about that.” I said slowly. I wasn’t sure of it. I knew it was what I wanted but was it right? It felt like it…

            “Have you told her how you feel?” he asked me kindly, not judging me like I thought he would.

            “Do you approve?” I wondered aloud, looking at him with a worried expression.

            He smiled and chuckled lightly, “My boy, I approve greatly and you have my blessings.” He said and I felt my face light up as relief flooded over me, “You’ve been like a son to me ever since your father passed and somehow, deep down, I knew this would happen someday, and it filled me with joy.”