chapter 12

Link’s POV

            “I’m sorry…” Owlan started, “I did all that I could.”

            I stared at Zelda’s body, wishing to be anywhere but here. I felt frozen as the seconds ticked by… nothing happened, she didn’t move, didn’t breathe. My feet moved forward and I kneeled beside her. Gaepora rushed out of the room, choking on tears and Owlan followed him out. After the door slammed behind them I climbed onto the bed and pulled Zelda’s limp body into my arms as a quiet sob escaped my lips. I held her tightly, willing life back into her broken form, begging the goddess for help, but she didn’t move.

            With tears dripping from my eyes I kissed her forehead, and then her nose… was it me or was she already becoming cold?

            “Please… open your eyes, sleepy head… don’t leave … look at me! Please!” I whispered.

            Still no response from her. I sighed deeply before kissing her softly on her lips, “I love you…” I mumbled as I kissed her again, “I love you so much… I’m so sorry I never told you, Zel.”

            She breathed in sharply suddenly, scaring me so much I almost dropped her, “Zelda?” I cried.

            “L… Link?” she murmured as her eyes fluttered open.

            “Owlan!” I screamed quickly before looking back at Zelda, “Thank goddess you’re still alive!” I hugged her tightly and she wrapped her arms around me and kissed my neck lightly, “Don’t cry, I’m here, I’m okay…” she whispered into my ear.

            Owlan and Gaepora ran in together along with Pipit, their faces were filled with shock. Gaepora ran over quickly and looked at Zelda, “Sweet heart, how do you feel?”

            “Hi, daddy… I’m okay.”

            He wrapped his arms around both of us and kissed his daughters head “This calls for a celebration!” Gaepora bellowed happily, “We shall have a festival in one weeks’ time after Zelda has recovered a bit more!”

            Everyone in the room cheered and we all hugged Zelda as she giggled weakly. it took a few hours for the excitement to die down and Zelda and I finally got some alone time.

            We were lying in her bed, arms wrapped around each other with legs twined like a human braid. I kissed and smoothed her hair down.

            “Link?” Zelda asked me quietly, “I dreamt of you the whole time I was asleep.”

            “Well, I was here most of the time. Your father practically had to drag me out… actually he did drag me out…” I chuckled making her smile.

            “Did you mean what you said? Before I woke up I heard your voice… you said… something that sounded like ‘I love you’” she whispered.

            I pulled her closer to me and kissed her gently, “Yes, I do love you… more than anything in this world.” I breathed out softly, “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you sooner…”

            “Link?”

            “Mmhm?”

            “I love you too.” She whispered quietly before kissing me and falling asleep.

Groose walked quietly back to his room. He had heard Zelda had woken up but he was too disgusted with himself to see her. He had caused the problems… if he hadn’t said anything to Link, Zelda would have never gotten hurt. He had to apologize.

 His head throbbed with the thoughts of losing Zelda. He was sure she was going to die… and he had felt awful about it. He wanted her so badly it was almost painful. But he knew her heart did not belong to him, it was for Link. No matter how badly he wished to be with her… he knew it would never happen. He needed to see her… to apologize and tell Link to take care of her.

Link’s POV

 A knock at the door made me jump. I sat up slowly, not wanting to bother Zelda, and climbed out of the bed. I walked to the door and opened it to see Groose looking at the ground with a pouty lip.

“What do you want, Groose?” I hissed.

“Link, I am so sorry! Can I see her?” he asked sadly.

“She’s asleep. What do you want?”

He looked back to the ground, his eyes filled with despair, “I wanted to apologize for causing all of this. It wasn’t my place to say any of those things I said to you and I’m so sorry I hurt Zelda… I didn’t mean for things to get so out of hand…”

I looked at him… he seemed sincere… but I wasn’t willing to forgive him that easily, “You’re not forgiven… yet… keep working at it and I’ll think about it.”

“I forgive you…”

I turned around to see Zelda standing quietly behind me, “Zelda! You should be in bed!” I said as I rushed over to her, grabbing her arm to help steady her still shaky legs.

“I’m fine, Link, really!” she laughed out as I leaned her weight against me. She sighed as she looked over to Groose. He blushed softly as he met her sapphire eyes. She smiled to him, “Groose… it wasn’t your place to try to separate Link and I but I know you have your reasons. I know how you feel about me and I’m sorry if I only see you as my friend… but I forgive you.”

His eyes filled with tears as he slowly stepped towards Zelda, reaching his hand out. She took his politely and he pulled her towards him quickly. I didn’t stop him as he hugged her tightly, his eyes watering as he smoothed her hair, “I’m so sorry, Zelda… I’m sorry.” He cried out quietly.

“Shh… there, there… it’s alright… just don’t try anything stupid anymore!” she giggled making him smile as he pulled away from her.

“I won’t, Zelda… I promise.” He smiled to her before looking back to me, “And Link… Take care of her for me, will ya?”

I smiled to him and nodded my head, “I will… that’s a promise.” I said.

He nodded to me with one of his famous sneers and rubbed the back of his head, “Well I better get going. Again, I’m sorry, and I hope to see you well rested and better soon, Zelda.”

“I hope I get better too, Groose.” She smiled.

“Well you won’t unless you get into bed and actually rest.” I said with a smirk making her glare at me in annoyance. Groose turned around and walked out the door, quietly shutting it behind him. I pulled Zelda towards me and hugged her, “Come on, back to bed with you.”

She smiled at me wickedly, “Make me.” She challenged. I picked her up in my arms and walked her towards the bed, making her laugh as she struggled to get away. I laid her down and held her, trying to keep her still as she wriggled to escape.

“Go to sleep!” I said with a chuckle.

“Link! I’ve been asleep for weeks! I am not tired!”

“Too bad. Go to sleep.” I said quietly.

She sighed heavily and ceased her squirming, “Fine, bossy pants.” She laughed

“Good night.” I whispered.

“Night, sleepy head.”

…..

Okay so this chapter was kinda short but I couldn’t think of anything else I wanted to put in this part of the story. Sorry for the long wait!