vi

CHAPTER SIX

Thursdays were flower pressing days

Thursdays were flower pressing days. That was the activity she has designated for Thursdays on her agenda, following the Wednesday schedule for drawing in her sketchbook. She reserved days for drawing on the cliffside by the highway and for flower picking she reserved, well, her favorite spot in world.

Beyond the town of Redwood, a short hike into a forest, was Ritter Falls.

She didn't discover the falls, of course, it already had its name and its fair share of tourists before she was born, but she could count the number of people who have visited the falls since she's discovered it for herself. It was Reagan and her brother, James, who found it when she was barely twelve and since a place like that was the nearest thing to sacred they've seen all their young lives, they vowed that the falls was their secret and they were never going to bring anyone there.

That was until James turned fifteen and became a little more rebellious, a little more self-centered, and a little more detached from his younger sister who used to be his best friend. He brought his girlfriend to the waterfalls he promised Reagan was their spot.

It ruined the value and sanctity Reagan once connected to the place but she visited it often, nonetheless, not because it was a sentimental reminder of the many days the siblings spent telling stories and complaining about their parents, but because the flowers were pretty and the place was beyond beautiful.

Most of all, it was because no one ever went there.

Ritter Falls was only forty feet tall, hidden by a short but somewhat difficult hike, and overshadowed by its neighboring falls, Dipper, that was nearing 200 feet in height, making it a more known destination for (very few) tourists.

She liked to think it was her spot. James ended up breaking up with his then girlfriend and said girlfriend thankfully didn't introduce anyone to that place, and no one else has been there to call it their own but Reagan. It lost the association it once had with her brother and now she comes there peacefully knowing that it was hers and that she wasn't obligated to share it with anyone.

Until for some reason, Reagan brought Jack Avery—a guy she's known for less than 24 hours—to her favorite place in her hometown, and she was yet to have any second thoughts or the slight trace of regret.

"Reagan Wallace," Jack said, panting, when they were on their hike to the falls, "I know I've been an absolute dick to you without you deserving any of it but if you're going to kill me please tell me now."

Reagan rolled her eyes.

"You're an idiot, Jack. If wanted to kill you I could've done it in the highway. Would've saved me loads of trouble," She mumbled as she narrowly missed a branch in front of her.

"No, I know how this works," He defended, "I've seen this in The Ruins and Truth or Die and basically a million other horror movies. You're gonna bring me to a secluded part of the forest for some weird, sacred offering ritual to to one of your gods, and leave me there for dead with a bloody star engraved onto my naked body."