viii

CHAPTER EIGHT

What was once supposed to be a day of picking flowers transformed into a day of Jack educating Reagan into the world of pop rock

What was once supposed to be a day of picking flowers transformed into a day of Jack educating Reagan into the world of pop rock. Specifically, A Rocket To The Moon. Jack pulled out his phone and put the band's entire discography on shuffle and it only took two songs for Reagan to see the band as something Jack definitely looked like he enjoyed listening to.

There they were, in front of one of Oregon's best kept secret, as the sounds of rushing waters kept up with the rhythm of A Rocket to the Moon's hits from 2009 blasting through his phone's speaker. It wasn't the ideal image of a peaceful afternoon but Reagan couldn't remember a time she felt more at peace than she did then.

"Was it Zach who said this was a lame band?" Reagan asked. Jack was two feet from where she sat, resting against the trunk of a Fringe tree right behind him. He had his guitar out of its case and on his lap, and every few minutes he'd play along chords to the song playing from his phone.

He rolled his eyes, "Yeah."

"Hm," Reagan nodded, "He was right."

"Hey!" Jack laughed. He was close enough to the water that he was able to splash some on her and Reagan shrieked, taken by surprise.

"Asshole!" She laughed and tried to splash him with a greater amount but she had awful aim, ending up just getting a few drops on his jeans, and he crossed him arms over his face.

"We're even, we're even!" He glanced at her and continued to laugh when she just rolled her eyes at him.

"I was joking," She defended, "I kind of like them."

"They're pretty good," Jack shrugged, continuing to lazily play on his guitar, "They're not like, the greatest band ever, I'm aware of that, but they were with me growing up. They were my favorite for a really long time, and. I don't know why I got so emotional over not being able to attend the concert. S'not like something would've changed if I was there or not, right?"

Reagan smiled as he talked about the band. He wouldn't look at her as he spoke, looking like he was afraid of judgement, but she placed a hand on his knee in a way she hoped was reassuring, "I get it. I get why you're upset. I would've done anything to attend a Joan Jett concert."

Jack laughed at that and he finally, finally, looked back at her with a smile.

"Really thought you were an asshole but I'd be as pissed as well if I were you." She assured him.

He continued to smile, looking down at Reagan's arm that was now lazily perched above his knee, "Sorry that that had to be your first impression of me."

"You've made up for it plenty," She reassured him and his smile lit up.

"Don't think I'm an asshole anymore?"