xxiii

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

{ jack ; xii }

So Reagan invited him to sit on the rooftop with her, right in the middle of the night where no one else within miles was awake, and he was afraid his heart would beat out of his chest just thinking about it.

He was a mess, if he was honest. He didn't know whether he was shaking from excitement and the butterflies in his stomach, of if he was going to hurl from nervousness.

On one hand, this was Reagan he was going to sit with.

This was the girl he sat by the riverbank with for hours. This was the girl whose smile distinctly reminded him of sunny days in his hometown, who laughed and rolled her eyes every time he tried to hit on her, and who listened to him sing as if he hung the stars himself.

Most of all, she was the girl that stayed back to check if he was alright when all of his friends easily went to the car and left him, even though he's known her for only a few hours then and he spent most of it being a dick to her.

But on the other hand, this was Reagan.

This was also the girl that couldn't look him in the eye after he tried (and failed) to kiss her. This was also the girl that looked like she wanted the ground to swallow her whole when Logan teased them about making out in the woods. This was the girl who didn't pull away when Daniel placed his arm around her.

Reagan was the girl who could make his heart race by calling him an idiot (he was pathetic when it came to her, he was aware) but she was also the girl that was clearly not interested in him.

Nonetheless, he pushed his thoughts to the back of his head and focused on climbing the water tank without embarrassing himself.

When he got to the roof top, his breath hitched at the sight of her. Her red hair looked impossibly perfect under the muted lights and he took a seat beside her gingerly, not wanting to disturb how at peace she looked.

"Couldn't sleep either?" He asked as sat down, letting his feet dangle off the edge and staring straight ahead.

"Why do you think I'm not a morning person?" She asked back monotonously and from the corner of his eye, he could tell she wasn't looking at him either.

He chuckled, trying his damn hardest to sound friendly, "But you don't have insomnia, do you?"

"No," she shook her head, looking like she'd rather be doing anything else at that moment which was unfair because she was the one who invited him up. "Just a messed up sleeping schedule."

He laughed awkwardly, still trying to keep their conversation light, "Mine's pretty fucked as well."

Then what followed that was heavy silence. He was honestly trying.